How to automatically open a window when using tags?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
      I use ctrl+] to trace the tags. But it uses the same window. I want
      show both the original window and the new window. Could you let me
      know what command to use to preserve the old window?

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
        On 04/04/10 23:29, Peng Yu wrote:
        > I use ctrl+] to trace the tags. But it uses the same window. I want
        > show both the original window and the new window. Could you let me
        > know what command to use to preserve the old window?

        Help windows all reuse the same window by design; but I suppose you
        could do something like

        :noremap <C-]> <C-W>s<C-]>

        to split the window immediately before jumping to the tag. See :help
        :split (and see which Normal-mode commands have the same effect). Beware
        that this will also multiply your help windows, since program tags and
        help tags use essentially the same mechanism internally.

        Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself.
        -- Friedrich Nietzsche

      • Nazri Ramliy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
          On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > Help windows all reuse the same window by design; but I suppose you could do
          > something like
          >
          >        :noremap        <C-]>   <C-W>s<C-]>

          That's a lot more keys than you'd actually need:

          <C-W>]

          Would achieve the same result.

          nazri.