full file path

  • pixelterra
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      I would like to show the full file path and name for every file I edit
      somewhere on the screen. I can't find how to do this, but I know a
      couple of years ago I solved this problem and have since lost the
      syntax for how to do this.

      The tab is obviously too short for this, but the 'title' of the
      terminal window or just above the command line area on the same line
      as column, row info is also a fine place.

      Any ideas?

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        pixelterra wrote:
        > I would like to show the full file path and name for every
        > file I edit somewhere on the screen. I can't find how to do
        > this, but I know a couple of years ago I solved this problem
        > and have since lost the syntax for how to do this.

        Sounds like you're hunting the 'statusline' option:

        :help 'statusline'
        :set stl=%{expand('%:p')}%r%h%w

        I'm not sure why, when I used "%F%t%r%h%w" in the help for
        options.txt, it gave me "options.txtoptions.txt[RO][Help]"
        instead of "/usr/share/vim/vim72/doc/options.txt[RO][Help]" The
        help clearly states the "%F" is the "[f]ull path to the file in
        the buffer" but it didn't give me the full path (":pwd" gave me
        the expected "/home/tim"). The help on 'stl' gives you all sorts
        of tweaks you can make to your status line.

        -tim

      • pixelterra
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
          thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As it turns out, the
          statusline does what I want by default. It just doesn't show by
          default, so I had to set laststatus=2. Maybe I'll add some tweeks too,
          now that I can : )