Re: Why is there no :foldupdate?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 12:49 PM
      Hi Bram!

      On Do, 01 Apr 2010, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > One remark: in the help, add a bit more information about when this would
      > be needed, why the folds are not updated automatically.

      Attached is an updated patch. Is this better?

      regards,
      Christian

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2 3:58 PM
        On 31/03/10 23:27, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > (fullquote, because copying vim_dev)
        >
        > On Mi, 31 Mär 2010, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        >
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> sometimes I am using fold expressions to simply hide away unwanted
        >> parts. Usually this boils down to
        >> :set fdm=expr fde=getline(v:lnum)!~getreg('/',1)
        >>
        >> While this works fine, it is only limited to whatever was in register @/
        >> when this setting was entered. Now this leaves an interesting question:
        >> When are 'foldexpr' reevaluated (are they at all)? Reading :h fold.txt
        >> does not mentioned when the fold expressions are reevaluated and folds
        >> are updated (or I might have missed it).
        >>
        >> Now the obvious cure to this is to reenter the foldexpression. So if I
        >> am searching for a different term, I need to enter
        >> :set fde=getline(v:lnum)!~getreg('/',1)
        >> and the folds will be updated.
        >>
        >> Of course, I could define my own :Foldupdate like this:
        >> :com! Foldupdate :exe "set fde=".&fde
        >>
        >> But this looks so fundamental, that I am wondering, whether I am the
        >> only one who is missing :foldupdate. Does anybody else think so? Or am I
        >> missing something obvious?
        >>
        >> PS: Looking at the source, it does not seem too hard, to define an extra
        >> :foldupdate command. Does that sound like a reasonable idea? I could
        >> prepare a patch for this, if there is interest.
        >>
        >> regards,
        >> Christian
        >>
        >> (Actually, I'd really like an RegisterChanged autocommand event, which
        >> could trigger an :foldupdate)
        >
        > Ok, here is a patch, that implements :foldupdate as ex command and zU as
        > normal mode command.
        >
        > Here is the testcase:
        > go to the vim-Src directory and execute the attached vim-script:
        >
        > chrisbra t41:~/vim/src [1296]% ./vim -u NONE -N -S foldupdate.vim eval.c
        >
        > Note, how the folding will be wrong, after the second search command
        > (and I have found no way to refresh the folding. zx and zX do not work,
        > though its description led me believe it could have. Well actually I
        > found one way: filtering the whole buffer through cat will also update
        > the folding)
        >
        > When recompiling vim with the patch, the folding will be updated, when
        > :foldupdate is called.
        >
        > regards,
        > Christian

        Doesn't this patch duplicate the already existing zx command?

        If it does, and you can't remember it, I suggest the following ;-)

        :command -nargs=0 -bar Foldupdate normal zx

        Any clod can have the facts, but having an opinion is an art.
        -- Charles McCabe

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3 4:27 AM
          Hi Tony!

          On Sa, 03 Apr 2010, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 31/03/10 23:27, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >> Note, how the folding will be wrong, after the second search command
          >> (and I have found no way to refresh the folding. zx and zX do not work,
          >> though its description led me believe it could have. Well actually I
          >> found one way: filtering the whole buffer through cat will also update
          >> the folding)

          > Doesn't this patch duplicate the already existing zx command?

          Please read again, what I already wrote ;)

          Should zx or zX maybe be changed to update the folds?

          regards,
          Christian