Re: gui dialogs

  • Aarto Matti
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
      > gvim uses the gtk toolkit.
      Yeah, I know, but I don't want to hack the vim code.

      > vim is a console application and to my knowledge doesn't support gui
      > interactions

      But vim does support basic dialogs like inputdialog() and confirm(), I
      was looking for more sophisticated ones. I suppose I can use OLE
      interface to interact with others applications, if I decide to write
      the dialog I need with GTK?

      I found VIM Form Toolkit
      http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
      it's not under development anymore.

      I also found this http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php and "add
      a portable GUI toolkit for nice dialogs in Vim script" is on the list.
      I hope to see it one day in VIM.

    • Tom Link
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2010
        > I found VIM Form Toolkithttp://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
        > it's not under development anymore.

        There are two more plugins of that kind somewhere on the internet.

        You might also want to check vimuiex, which requires python-support
        and a patched version of vim though.

        You could use external tools that display a dialog and return some
        kind of value you could work with. Those are often named Xdialog,
        where X is the name of the toolkit being used. Or just "dialog" if
        you're on the terminal.

        If you have python/ruby/perl support compiled in, there might be other
        options.

        You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
        can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
        cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
        works well for me.

        IMHO in many cases good command-line completion is the better solution
        though.

      • Aarto Matti
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 5, 2010
          > You might also want to check vimuiex, which requires python-support
          > and a patched version of vim though.

          Found it, looks very interesting!

          > You could use external tools that display a dialog and return some
          > kind of value you could work with. Those are often named Xdialog,
          > where X is the name of the toolkit being used. Or just "dialog" if
          > you're on the terminal.
          >
          > If you have python/ruby/perl support compiled in, there might be other
          > options.

          Yes, I will consider that as the last option, as I understand it will
          be a platform specific solution only. Gtk and Tk dialogs with
          python/ruby/perl are possible under Linux, I don't know about the same
          in Windows 'cause since recently I use vim also in there.

          > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
          > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
          > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
          > works well for me.

          Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.

          > IMHO in many cases good command-line completion is the better solution
          > though.

          In most cases yes, but sometimes checking a checkbox is faster then
          typing an extra long pattern in command line.

        • Tom Link
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
            > > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
            > > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
            > > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
            > > works well for me.
            >
            > Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.

            I used this approach in the following two experiments:
            http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim
            http://github.com/tomtom/worksheet_vim

            Neither is actually useful in its present state.

            For checkboxes, you had to define a buffer-local map for <LeftMouse>.

          • Steve Hall
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
              From: Tom Link, Thu, April 08, 2010 2:01 pm

              [...gui dialog methods...]

              If we were to make a gui dialog system for gVim using Python, what
              would the preferable cross-platform (Windows/Linux) be? WxPython?
              TkInter? PyGTK?

              I don't think it unreasonable these days to request a user to install
              Python+toolkit to get a sophisticated dialog system.

            • Tom Link
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
                > I don't think it unreasonable these days to request a user to install
                > Python+toolkit to get a sophisticated dialog system.

                One thing I love about vim is that, e.g., the omni completion popup
                menu works the same in the gui version and in the terminal version.
                This is also the reason why I personally would rather like to see text-
                only GUI widgets.

                BTW is there a chance the vimuiex patch gets integrated in vim?

              • Matt Wozniski
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
                  On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Tom Link <micathom@...> wrote:
                  >> > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
                  >> > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
                  >> > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
                  >> > works well for me.
                  >>
                  >> Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.
                  >
                  > I used this approach in the following two experiments:
                  > http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim
                  > http://github.com/tomtom/worksheet_vim
                  >
                  > Neither is actually useful in its present state.
                  >
                  > For checkboxes, you had to define a buffer-local map for <LeftMouse>.

                  For a sufficiently simple form, I'd instead use a CursorMoved autocmd
                  that detects when the cursor has been moved to the "inside" of a
                  checkbox.

                  ~Matt

                • Steve Hall
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
                    On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:13 -0700, Tom Link wrote:

                    > ...I personally would rather like to see text-only GUI widgets.

                    A Graphical User Interface requires graphical elements with which to
                    interface. In the experiments I've done in Vim with "clickable text",
                    it is about the most baffling interface non-command liners have ever
                    seen. It doesn't work. (Except for those who would rather just type at
                    the command line. :)

                    Now I suppose if you could create a more "web like" text page,
                    complete with underlines, highlighting, and mouse-overs, then you
                    might have something. Think elinks.cz. But it would be a huge pain,
                    a real GUI toolkit would be much easier.

                  • mmarko
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 8, 2010
                      On 8 apr., 20:20, "Steve Hall" <digit...@...> wrote:
                      > If we were to make a gui dialog system for gVim using Python, what
                      > would the preferable cross-platform (Windows/Linux) be? WxPython?
                      > TkInter? PyGTK?

                      A year ago while developing vimuiex I tried several Python toolkits
                      and the only one that worked was wxPython. The others just crashed
                      Vim when opening a window. The only problem with wxPython is that
                      you can't make a "modal" window: after you create a window the
                      control passes immediately back to Vim.
                      (this could probably be solved with a loop in Python that would wait
                      for wxApp to close the last window; but then redraw of the main
                      Vim window wouldn't work).

                      If you are interested, you can take a look at version 0.4 of vimuiex
                      where wxPython is still supported.

                      IMO it would be better to implement the dialogs with Python.curses
                      and then port it to use python_screen (patch for vimuiex). I thought
                      about doing that myself, except it would take a lot of time and I
                      don't really need dialogs (vimuiex was started as a utility for
                      browsing
                      temporary lists). You can find an implementation of a simple input
                      field in _popuplist_screen.py. But for a real GUI toolkit it would
                      have
                      to be implemented as a separate class that would be added to
                      dialogs and not as a part of the dialog itself as it is now.

                      Marko

                    • Andy Wokula
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 9, 2010
                        Am 02.04.2010 06:49, schrieb Tom Link:
                        >> I found VIM Form Toolkithttp://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
                        >> it's not under development anymore.
                        >
                        > There are two more plugins of that kind somewhere on the internet.

                        autoload/forms.vim by Hari Krishna Dara (2006-10-01)
                        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/47781/
                        unfort., the googlepages link is dead ...

                        --
                        Andy

                      • Tom Link
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 10, 2010
                          > For a sufficiently simple form, I'd instead use a CursorMoved autocmd
                          > that detects when the cursor has been moved to the "inside" of a
                          > checkbox.

                          You'd probably have some difficulties to distinguish between focusing
                          a checkbox and selecting a checkbox.

                        • Tom Link
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 10, 2010
                            > Now I suppose if you could create a more "web like" text page,
                            > complete with underlines, highlighting, and mouse-overs, then you
                            > might have something. Think elinks.cz. But it would be a huge pain,
                            > a real GUI toolkit would be much easier.

                            I rewrote my library. No mouse-over effects yet but it highlights
                            validation errors, and it has checkboxes and a way to define a field-
                            specific completion function.

                            Here is the example code for a Search & Replace form:
                            http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim/blob/master/test/replace_gui.vim

                            The resulting form would look like this:
                            http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html

                          • Steve Hall
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 10, 2010
                              On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 00:09 -0700, Tom Link wrote:

                              > The resulting form would look like this:
                              > http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html

                              Weird, in Firefox this page reports:

                              "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                              helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                              preferences."

                              Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                            • Tom Link
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 11, 2010
                                > Weird, in Firefox this page reports:
                                >
                                >   "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                                >   helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                                >   preferences."
                                >
                                > Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                                Well, ff tries to download the file. Since it is an html file, ff
                                should actually be the default app to open the file. In my case, the
                                file is downloaded into the temp directory and then opened with ff.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 24, 2010
                                  On 10/04/10 16:56, Steve Hall wrote:
                                  > On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 00:09 -0700, Tom Link wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> The resulting form would look like this:
                                  >> http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html
                                  >
                                  > Weird, in Firefox this page reports:
                                  >
                                  > "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                                  > helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                                  > preferences."
                                  >
                                  > Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                                  The HTML headers for that page include "Content-Type:
                                  binary/octet-stream" (sic), which is not even a valid MIME type: for
                                  binary it should be application/octet-stream, but the page is in XHTML,
                                  which mean the correct MIME types would be text/html or (IIRC)
                                  application/xhtml+xml

                                  Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which the only
                                  specification is that it should run noiselessly.