Re: gui dialogs

  • Reid Thompson
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1 7:51 AM
      On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 17:35 +0300, Aarto Matti wrote:
      > > Do you mean like that shown in the attachment?
      > > It's the standard gvim search and replace dialog, or is that what you're
      > > saying is ugly and stupid?
      >
      > This is ugly and stupid
      > http://www.linux-mag.com/i/articles/6045/Figure_2.jpg
      > The Cream way: a bunch of dialogs, in each you set some option before
      > reaching the final dialog with "Do it already!" button.
      >
      > No, I didn't mean that I want a search/replace dialog which already
      > exists in vim, I knew, just the screenshot I attached happened to be
      > such.
      >
      > I was looking for some native way or external toolkit/gui frontend to
      > vim to write a custom dialog. Text fields and check(radio) buttons is
      > a must.

      gvim uses the gtk toolkit.
      vim is a console application and to my knowledge doesn't support gui
      interactions

    • Aarto Matti
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1 10:36 AM
        > gvim uses the gtk toolkit.
        Yeah, I know, but I don't want to hack the vim code.

        > vim is a console application and to my knowledge doesn't support gui
        > interactions

        But vim does support basic dialogs like inputdialog() and confirm(), I
        was looking for more sophisticated ones. I suppose I can use OLE
        interface to interact with others applications, if I decide to write
        the dialog I need with GTK?

        I found VIM Form Toolkit
        http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
        it's not under development anymore.

        I also found this http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php and "add
        a portable GUI toolkit for nice dialogs in Vim script" is on the list.
        I hope to see it one day in VIM.

      • Tom Link
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1 9:49 PM
          > I found VIM Form Toolkithttp://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
          > it's not under development anymore.

          There are two more plugins of that kind somewhere on the internet.

          You might also want to check vimuiex, which requires python-support
          and a patched version of vim though.

          You could use external tools that display a dialog and return some
          kind of value you could work with. Those are often named Xdialog,
          where X is the name of the toolkit being used. Or just "dialog" if
          you're on the terminal.

          If you have python/ruby/perl support compiled in, there might be other
          options.

          You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
          can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
          cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
          works well for me.

          IMHO in many cases good command-line completion is the better solution
          though.

        • Aarto Matti
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 5 4:46 AM
            > You might also want to check vimuiex, which requires python-support
            > and a patched version of vim though.

            Found it, looks very interesting!

            > You could use external tools that display a dialog and return some
            > kind of value you could work with. Those are often named Xdialog,
            > where X is the name of the toolkit being used. Or just "dialog" if
            > you're on the terminal.
            >
            > If you have python/ruby/perl support compiled in, there might be other
            > options.

            Yes, I will consider that as the last option, as I understand it will
            be a platform specific solution only. Gtk and Tk dialogs with
            python/ruby/perl are possible under Linux, I don't know about the same
            in Windows 'cause since recently I use vim also in there.

            > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
            > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
            > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
            > works well for me.

            Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.

            > IMHO in many cases good command-line completion is the better solution
            > though.

            In most cases yes, but sometimes checking a checkbox is faster then
            typing an extra long pattern in command line.

          • Tom Link
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 8 11:01 AM
              > > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
              > > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
              > > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
              > > works well for me.
              >
              > Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.

              I used this approach in the following two experiments:
              http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim
              http://github.com/tomtom/worksheet_vim

              Neither is actually useful in its present state.

              For checkboxes, you had to define a buffer-local map for <LeftMouse>.

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 8 11:20 AM
                From: Tom Link, Thu, April 08, 2010 2:01 pm

                [...gui dialog methods...]

                If we were to make a gui dialog system for gVim using Python, what
                would the preferable cross-platform (Windows/Linux) be? WxPython?
                TkInter? PyGTK?

                I don't think it unreasonable these days to request a user to install
                Python+toolkit to get a sophisticated dialog system.

              • Tom Link
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 8 12:13 PM
                  > I don't think it unreasonable these days to request a user to install
                  > Python+toolkit to get a sophisticated dialog system.

                  One thing I love about vim is that, e.g., the omni completion popup
                  menu works the same in the gui version and in the terminal version.
                  This is also the reason why I personally would rather like to see text-
                  only GUI widgets.

                  BTW is there a chance the vimuiex patch gets integrated in vim?

                • Matt Wozniski
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 8 2:03 PM
                    On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Tom Link <micathom@...> wrote:
                    >> > You could also think of presenting the users a buffer with a form that
                    >> > can be easily parsed and set nomodifiable via CursorMoved(I) if the
                    >> > cursor is over a field tag. I use that approach in one plugin and it
                    >> > works well for me.
                    >>
                    >> Could you please share the link to the plugin, if it's public.
                    >
                    > I used this approach in the following two experiments:
                    > http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim
                    > http://github.com/tomtom/worksheet_vim
                    >
                    > Neither is actually useful in its present state.
                    >
                    > For checkboxes, you had to define a buffer-local map for <LeftMouse>.

                    For a sufficiently simple form, I'd instead use a CursorMoved autocmd
                    that detects when the cursor has been moved to the "inside" of a
                    checkbox.

                    ~Matt

                  • Steve Hall
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 8 7:56 PM
                      On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:13 -0700, Tom Link wrote:

                      > ...I personally would rather like to see text-only GUI widgets.

                      A Graphical User Interface requires graphical elements with which to
                      interface. In the experiments I've done in Vim with "clickable text",
                      it is about the most baffling interface non-command liners have ever
                      seen. It doesn't work. (Except for those who would rather just type at
                      the command line. :)

                      Now I suppose if you could create a more "web like" text page,
                      complete with underlines, highlighting, and mouse-overs, then you
                      might have something. Think elinks.cz. But it would be a huge pain,
                      a real GUI toolkit would be much easier.

                    • mmarko
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 8 11:19 PM
                        On 8 apr., 20:20, "Steve Hall" <digit...@...> wrote:
                        > If we were to make a gui dialog system for gVim using Python, what
                        > would the preferable cross-platform (Windows/Linux) be? WxPython?
                        > TkInter? PyGTK?

                        A year ago while developing vimuiex I tried several Python toolkits
                        and the only one that worked was wxPython. The others just crashed
                        Vim when opening a window. The only problem with wxPython is that
                        you can't make a "modal" window: after you create a window the
                        control passes immediately back to Vim.
                        (this could probably be solved with a loop in Python that would wait
                        for wxApp to close the last window; but then redraw of the main
                        Vim window wouldn't work).

                        If you are interested, you can take a look at version 0.4 of vimuiex
                        where wxPython is still supported.

                        IMO it would be better to implement the dialogs with Python.curses
                        and then port it to use python_screen (patch for vimuiex). I thought
                        about doing that myself, except it would take a lot of time and I
                        don't really need dialogs (vimuiex was started as a utility for
                        browsing
                        temporary lists). You can find an implementation of a simple input
                        field in _popuplist_screen.py. But for a real GUI toolkit it would
                        have
                        to be implemented as a separate class that would be added to
                        dialogs and not as a part of the dialog itself as it is now.

                        Marko

                      • Andy Wokula
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 9 2:17 AM
                          Am 02.04.2010 06:49, schrieb Tom Link:
                          >> I found VIM Form Toolkithttp://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2160, unfortunately
                          >> it's not under development anymore.
                          >
                          > There are two more plugins of that kind somewhere on the internet.

                          autoload/forms.vim by Hari Krishna Dara (2006-10-01)
                          http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/47781/
                          unfort., the googlepages link is dead ...

                          --
                          Andy

                        • Tom Link
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 10 12:00 AM
                            > For a sufficiently simple form, I'd instead use a CursorMoved autocmd
                            > that detects when the cursor has been moved to the "inside" of a
                            > checkbox.

                            You'd probably have some difficulties to distinguish between focusing
                            a checkbox and selecting a checkbox.

                          • Tom Link
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 10 12:09 AM
                              > Now I suppose if you could create a more "web like" text page,
                              > complete with underlines, highlighting, and mouse-overs, then you
                              > might have something. Think elinks.cz. But it would be a huge pain,
                              > a real GUI toolkit would be much easier.

                              I rewrote my library. No mouse-over effects yet but it highlights
                              validation errors, and it has checkboxes and a way to define a field-
                              specific completion function.

                              Here is the example code for a Search & Replace form:
                              http://github.com/tomtom/vimform_vim/blob/master/test/replace_gui.vim

                              The resulting form would look like this:
                              http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html

                            • Steve Hall
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 10 7:56 AM
                                On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 00:09 -0700, Tom Link wrote:

                                > The resulting form would look like this:
                                > http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html

                                Weird, in Firefox this page reports:

                                "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                                helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                                preferences."

                                Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                              • Tom Link
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 11 1:48 AM
                                  > Weird, in Firefox this page reports:
                                  >
                                  >   "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                                  >   helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                                  >   preferences."
                                  >
                                  > Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                                  Well, ff tries to download the file. Since it is an html file, ff
                                  should actually be the default app to open the file. In my case, the
                                  file is downloaded into the temp directory and then opened with ff.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 24, 2010
                                    On 10/04/10 16:56, Steve Hall wrote:
                                    > On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 00:09 -0700, Tom Link wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> The resulting form would look like this:
                                    >> http://github.com/downloads/tomtom/vimform_vim/replace_gui.html
                                    >
                                    > Weird, in Firefox this page reports:
                                    >
                                    > "/tmp/replace_gui-3.html could not be opened, because the associated
                                    > helper application does not exist. Change the association in your
                                    > preferences."
                                    >
                                    > Looks like something on the server side is broken.

                                    The HTML headers for that page include "Content-Type:
                                    binary/octet-stream" (sic), which is not even a valid MIME type: for
                                    binary it should be application/octet-stream, but the page is in XHTML,
                                    which mean the correct MIME types would be text/html or (IIRC)
                                    application/xhtml+xml

                                    Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which the only
                                    specification is that it should run noiselessly.