.vimrc colors ; highlight xxxxxx ctermfg=cccccc what xxxxxx and cccccc are OK?

  • dgerman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30 6:27 PM
      I am running on a shared host

      $TERM=xterm-color
      vim version 7.0.237
      i686-redhat-linux-gnu

      I have added to my .vimrc file:

      highlight comment ctermfg=darkgray
      highlight constant ctermfg=darkblue
      highlight Identifier ctermfg=black " html < and />
      highlight search ctermbg=lightYellow ctermfg=black
      highlight Special ctermfg=Gray
      highlight Statment ctermfg=red ctermbg=yellow
      highlight Function ctermfg=darkGray " begin tag wickets , =
      highlight Type ctermfg=Darkgray
      highlight Question ctermfg=red ctermbg=blue
      highlight NonText ctermfg=darkGray
      highlight PreProc ctermfg=darkGray
      highlight htmlTitle ctermfg=DarkGray

      The entire .vimrc is at http://www.Real-World-Systems.com/docs/vimrc

      when editing an .html file

      text is in black, that's good
      wickets ( < and > ) are in black, that's ok
      HTML tag names are in yellow (?) that's good
      broken tag , (second < in a row ) is gray/red that's good

      & etc are shown in gray. that's Not Nice

      keywords before = are blackBold
      values after = are blue, that's ok

      h3 is in violet(?)

      1) what colornames are permitted, ( orange is not )

      2) where is the list of keywords?

      Thanks in advance

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31 8:05 AM
        On 31/03/10 03:27, dgerman wrote:
        > I am running on a shared host
        >
        > $TERM=xterm-color
        > vim version 7.0.237
        > i686-redhat-linux-gnu
        >
        > I have added to my .vimrc file:
        >
        > highlight comment ctermfg=darkgray
        > highlight constant ctermfg=darkblue
        > highlight Identifier ctermfg=black " html< and />
        > highlight search ctermbg=lightYellow ctermfg=black
        > highlight Special ctermfg=Gray
        > highlight Statment ctermfg=red ctermbg=yellow
        > highlight Function ctermfg=darkGray " begin tag wickets , =
        > highlight Type ctermfg=Darkgray
        > highlight Question ctermfg=red ctermbg=blue
        > highlight NonText ctermfg=darkGray
        > highlight PreProc ctermfg=darkGray
        > highlight htmlTitle ctermfg=DarkGray
        >

        > The entire .vimrc is at http://www.Real-World-Systems.com/docs/vimrc
        >

        > when editing an .html file
        >
        > text is in black, that's good
        > wickets (< and> ) are in black, that's ok
        > HTML tag names are in yellow (?) that's good
        > broken tag , (second< in a row ) is gray/red that's good
        >
        > & etc are shown in gray. that's Not Nice
        >
        > keywords before = are blackBold
        > values after = are blue, that's ok
        >
        > h3 is in violet(?)
        >

        > 1) what colornames are permitted, ( orange is not )
        >
        > 2) where is the list of keywords?
        >

        > Thanks in advance

        IIUC, for xxxxxx (the highlight group name) almost any keyword is
        _permitted_, but a name is only useful if it is _used_ somewhere.

        - Some groups are predefined by Vim:
        :help hl-<Ctrl-D>
        - Some others, even without a help entry, are defined by :syntax on:
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syncolor.vim
        - Some more are defined by the various syntax scripts, usually (but not
        always: see for instance htmlBold, htmlItalic, etc.) by linking to one
        of Vim's default groups:
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/vim.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/c.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/html.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/sh.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/dosbatch.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/perl.vim
        :view $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/python.vim
        etc. etc. etc.
        - You may use any existing name (including a new one that you define
        yourself) for matching:
        :help :match
        :help :2match
        :help :3match
        :help matchadd()
        :help matchdelete()

        For cccc, the color name, some names are permitted for ctermbg=
        ctermfg=; the same, plus many more, are permitted for guibg= guifg=

        First, in the console: see
        :help cterm-colors.
        Numbers from 0 to one less than 't_Co' are permitted (but they don't
        mean the same everywhere: for instance 1 means red on the Linux console,
        but blue on the Dos console), and also the names listed in that help topic.

        For the GUI, the list can be obtained by looking at the file rgb.txt. On
        Unix/Linux, you probably already have one but its location varies from
        one distro to the next, you may have to search. On Windows, you may or
        may not have one in $VIMRUNTIME for use by gvim. On Windows, OS-defined
        names are also permitted, see
        :help gui-colors
        :help win32-colors
        :help dos-colors
        In addition, in the GUI, colors can be defined as #xxxxxx where xxxxxx
        are six hex digits (no more, no less): two for the red component, then
        two for the green component, then two for the blue component.
        "Abbreviated" values with only three hex digits, as used in HTML and
        CSS, are not accepted by Vim.

        Nihilism should commence with oneself.