Decrease left margin before line number

  • exspider64
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2010
      I used ":set number" to get line numbers.

      I have 6 spaces for the left margin before single digit line numbers.

      Is there a way to decrease the left margin to 3 spaces?
      Is there a way to decrease the left margin so the largest line number
      touches the window's border?

      Thanks

    • exspider64

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2010
          exspider64 wrote:
          > I used ":set number" to get line numbers.
          >
          > I have 6 spaces for the left margin before single digit line numbers.
          >
          > Is there a way to decrease the left margin to 3 spaces?
          > Is there a way to decrease the left margin so the largest line number
          > touches the window's border?
          >
          > Thanks

          See 'numberwidth' option. -ak

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
            exspider64 wrote:
            > I used ":set number" to get line numbers.
            >
            > I have 6 spaces for the left margin before single digit line numbers.
            >
            > Is there a way to decrease the left margin to 3 spaces?
            > Is there a way to decrease the left margin so the largest line number
            > touches the window's border?

            Read :help 'number' -- you'll find an option mentioned there that lets
            you control this.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Chris Sutcliffe
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
              >> Is there a way to decrease the left margin to 3 spaces?
              >> Is there a way to decrease the left margin so the largest line number
              >> touches the window's border?
              >
              > Read  :help 'number'  -- you'll find an option mentioned there that lets you
              > control this.

              In particular ':help numberwidth'.

              Chris

              --
              Chris Sutcliffe
              http://emergedesktop.org

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
                Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
                >>> Is there a way to decrease the left margin to 3 spaces?
                >>> Is there a way to decrease the left margin so the largest line number
                >>> touches the window's border?
                >>>
                >> Read :help 'number' -- you'll find an option mentioned there that lets you
                >> control this.
                >>

                > In particular ':help numberwidth'.

                I'm trying to encourage people to read the help for themselves. The old
                give-them-a-fish vs teach-them-to-fish thing.

                Chip Campbell