Re: q: shows previous : commands, q/ shows previous searches, can I find/recall previous motion commands?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2010
      On 09/03/10 22:43, tomPorter wrote:
      > Lets say I did '3cw' to replace three words a couple of commands ago.
      > (or 'd$' or any action/motion pair like this)
      >
      > Is there a way to see a list/an editable list of previous commands of
      > this type?
      >
      > Sorry if this is a FAQ.
      >
      > Tom P.

      Well, I see two possibilities:

      - If you start Vim with the -w <filename> or -W <filename> command-line
      argument, /everything/ that you type (including Normal-mode commands)
      will be logged to <filename> (if it already exists then -W means
      "overwrite" while -w means "append"). The filename cannot start with a
      digit, see :help -w . Warning: the file can grow quite fast, and in
      Normal (not Command-line) mode it will have rather few line breaks
      (since they are added only when you hit <Enter>).

      - When 'undolevels' is a strictly positive integer, Vim has an undo
      history of that size, which can branch off if you undo some steps then
      do something else. See :help undo.txt for details.

      Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is
      supposed to be doing at the moment.
      -- Robert Benchley