Re: Move Buffers to Tabs

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
      On Mar 2, 9:55 am, rameo <rai...@...> wrote:
      > I have the tabs enabled but find always files in the bufferlist but
      > not in tabs.
      >
      > How can I open buffers always in tabs?

      Many people will tell you, "you don't want to always open buffers in a
      new tab", meaning that if you somehow succeed in forcing Vim to ALWAYS
      open a new tab for every buffer, with no exceptions, you will only end
      up limiting yourself.

      However, there is nothing wrong with *usually* opening new buffers in
      tabs, and in fact I do this myself. But I also frequently open
      temporary windows within the same tab, so that at any given time I
      usually have at least two buffers shown in any given tab.

      Anyway, to answer your question:

      :tabe is the basic way to open a file in a new tab from within Vim.

      --remote-tab-silent as a command-line option allows you to open a file
      in a new tab in an existing Vim from outside Vim.

      The :tab command modifier in Vim allows you to open things in tabs
      that would otherwise open in a new window in the same tab.

      The 'switchbuf' option has some tab-related settings.

      The :drop command, especially when using the :tab modifier, can be
      useful for making sure you only have one tab open for a given file, if
      you're not sure whether or not you already have it open in a tab.

      I suggest browsing around http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs a
      little bit for some ideas.