Move Buffers to Tabs

  • rameo
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
      I have the tabs enabled but find always files in the bufferlist but
      not in tabs.

      How can I open buffers always in tabs?

    • Jean Johner
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
        On Mar 2, 4:55 pm, rameo <rai...@...> wrote:
        > I have the tabs enabled but find always files in the bufferlist but
        > not in tabs.
        >
        > How can I open buffers always in tabs?

        use :tabe filename instead of :e filename

        Jean Johner

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
          On Mar 2, 9:55 am, rameo <rai...@...> wrote:
          > I have the tabs enabled but find always files in the bufferlist but
          > not in tabs.
          >
          > How can I open buffers always in tabs?

          Many people will tell you, "you don't want to always open buffers in a
          new tab", meaning that if you somehow succeed in forcing Vim to ALWAYS
          open a new tab for every buffer, with no exceptions, you will only end
          up limiting yourself.

          However, there is nothing wrong with *usually* opening new buffers in
          tabs, and in fact I do this myself. But I also frequently open
          temporary windows within the same tab, so that at any given time I
          usually have at least two buffers shown in any given tab.

          Anyway, to answer your question:

          :tabe is the basic way to open a file in a new tab from within Vim.

          --remote-tab-silent as a command-line option allows you to open a file
          in a new tab in an existing Vim from outside Vim.

          The :tab command modifier in Vim allows you to open things in tabs
          that would otherwise open in a new window in the same tab.

          The 'switchbuf' option has some tab-related settings.

          The :drop command, especially when using the :tab modifier, can be
          useful for making sure you only have one tab open for a given file, if
          you're not sure whether or not you already have it open in a tab.

          I suggest browsing around http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tabs a
          little bit for some ideas.