grep - highlight / regular expression

  • rameo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
      I use the grep.vim plugin to search in all files, however the items in
      a file (when I click on a line in the quickfix list) aren't
      highlighted.

      1) Is there a way to highlight the items and put the cursor at the
      beginning of the item?
      2) Is there a way to use regular expressions to find items?

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
        On Mar 2, 3:57 am, rameo <rai...@...> wrote:
        > I use the grep.vim plugin to search in all files, however the items in
        > a file (when I click on a line in the quickfix list) aren't
        > highlighted.
        >
        > 1) Is there a way to highlight the items and put the cursor at the
        > beginning of the item?
        > 2) Is there a way to use regular expressions to find items?

        I don't know about grep.vim, but its name suggests that it already
        supports regular expressions. Regardless, it is not really necessary
        for basic searching in files, unless it offers extensions like
        searching in open buffers or something.

        See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Find_in_files_within_Vim

        :cnext and :cprev should take your cursor to each match in turn. If
        it's a single word match, '*' will then search the file and highlight
        all matches as a side effect, assuming you have 'hlsearch' turned on.