RE: FedoraCore 8

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
      pansz wrote:

      >> 1) Build of sources might not work since the installation
      >> might not have some "developer" packages needed for the
      >> build process. One would think that an installation of
      >> Fedora would have "everything" whereas an installation of
      >> "RedHat" might miss some developer packages but I found a
      >> Fedora 8 install that did not have things needed to build
      >> vim!
      >
      > This is true for all mainstream Linux distributions: you may
      > need 50G disk spaces to install all developer packages or some
      > 100G to install "everything".
      >
      > Believe me, you won't want to install everything and you don't
      > even want to download everything.
      >

      >> 4) On Fedora, one can use the "yum" command; for example, on
      >> Fedora 8, "yum install vim-enhanced" will install vim 7.1
      >> with patches 1-242. Note that the rpm listed in the link
      >> at (2), viz., vim-enhanced-7.1.135-1.fc8.i386.rpm, has only
      >> 135 patches but yum was able to install vim-enhanced with
      >> 242 patches; no idea where yum found this! (The latest
      >> version of vim that yum finds on Fedora 5 is 7.0.042.)
      >
      > You'll have a hard time if you don't know how to use the
      > "package manager". Because most mainstream Linux distributions
      > are much bigger than a DVD and they won't install everything by
      > default.
      >
      > The installation media gives you a basic system, the package
      > manager helps you find what you want in the remaining 100G.

      Thanks for the info! This page was helpful too:
      http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6546/1/

      To recap the error message from make on Fedora 8:

      checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
      checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
      checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
      checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
      no terminal library found
      checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
      make[1]: *** [config] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/h/sgovinda/tmp/vim72/src'
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      The command:

      yum provides 'ncurses'

      showed that ncurses-5.6-12.20070812.fc8.i386 was installed.

      The command:

      yum info "*ncurses*dev*"

      listed ncurses-devel.

      Issuing "yum install ncurses-devel" resulted in a successful make.

      Thanks,

      --Suresh