Integration with SAP

  • Pavel Vávra
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi all,
      is anybody interesting with integration Vim and SAP environment? I really like using Vim as ABAP editor, but ... I need to know more about Vim to try closer integration.
      I'll try to explain some steps, please answer, if Vim can do such things:

      A: double-click at <word> does:
      1) if <word> is variable name, jumps to its definition
      2) if <word> is form/procedure/macro/function name, jumps to its definition.
      In both cases: if definition is outside opened source code, vim has to inform system about it (I just do not know how it works, but assume it can be done), new source file will be prepared (by SAP system) to Vim and Vim shold open new file and move cursor to appropriate position in this file. As a benefit - if user is not allowed to edit new file, it should be opened in read-only mode (this information has to be trasferred from SAP system).
      I think, that if no double-click can be reassigned, it will be fine to choose any other key, e.g. F2 for this functionality

      B: help (F1)
      - when cursor stays on keyword, just send info to SAP, it creates its own window with specified help. I think that it can be done via some macro, is it?

      Thank you for your answers,
      Pavel

    • sc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
        On Monday 01 March 2010 02:03:25 pm Pavel Vávra wrote:

        > A: double-click at <word> does:
        > 1) if <word> is variable name, jumps to its definition
        > 2) if <word> is form/procedure/macro/function name, jumps to
        > its definition. In both cases: if definition is outside
        > opened source code, vim has to inform system about it (I just
        > do not know how it works, but assume it can be done), new
        > source file will be prepared (by SAP system) to Vim and Vim
        > shold open new file and move cursor to appropriate position
        > in this file. As a benefit - if user is not allowed to edit
        > new file, it should be opened in read-only mode (this
        > information has to be trasferred from SAP system). I think,
        > that if no double-click can be reassigned, it will be fine to
        > choose any other key, e.g. F2 for this functionality
        >
        > B: help (F1)
        > - when cursor stays on keyword, just send info to SAP, it
        > creates its own window with specified help. I think that it
        > can be done via some macro, is it?

        for (A) you're probably going to want to use some implementation
        of exuberant ctags, about which what i know wouldn't fill a
        thimble, but (B) can be easily handled by assigning ":help" to
        keywordprg in your .vimrc thusly:

        set keywordprg=:help

        then you just hit K in normal mode with your cursor on the
        keyword and up pops the help for that keyword

        hth,

        sc

      • Pavel Vávra
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010

          On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:43:52 -0600
          sc <toothpik@...> wrote:

          > On Monday 01 March 2010 02:03:25 pm Pavel Vávra wrote:
          >
          > > A: double-click at <word> does:
          > > 1) if <word> is variable name, jumps to its definition
          > > 2) if <word> is form/procedure/macro/function name, jumps to
          > > its definition. In both cases: if definition is outside
          > > opened source code, vim has to inform system about it (I just
          > > do not know how it works, but assume it can be done), new
          > > source file will be prepared (by SAP system) to Vim and Vim
          > > shold open new file and move cursor to appropriate position
          > > in this file. As a benefit - if user is not allowed to edit
          > > new file, it should be opened in read-only mode (this
          > > information has to be trasferred from SAP system). I think,
          > > that if no double-click can be reassigned, it will be fine to
          > > choose any other key, e.g. F2 for this functionality
          > >
          > > B: help (F1)
          > > - when cursor stays on keyword, just send info to SAP, it
          > > creates its own window with specified help. I think that it
          > > can be done via some macro, is it?
          > >

          > for (A) you're probably going to want to use some implementation
          > of exuberant ctags, about which what i know wouldn't fill a

          OK, exuberant ctags, will solve a part odf (A) question. Thank you for pointing to it. What about opening of files in R/O mode? It seems it is possible by Vim, it can be handled similar to help files. And sub-question: sometimes in this environment there are situation, where some parts of one file are read-only and some parts are allowed to enter text, see example:

          *-----
          non-editable line
          other non-editable line
          *{INSERT some_identification (this line is not editable)
          in this area I am able to enter anything, add lines, delete text, etc.
          up to this line
          *}
          non-editable lines to the end of file or to next "INSERT" block
          *-------

          > thimble, but (B) can be easily handled by assigning ":help" to
          > keywordprg in your .vimrc thusly:
          >
          > set keywordprg=:help
          >
          > then you just hit K in normal mode with your cursor on the
          > keyword and up pops the help for that keyword

          Yes, it should work ... and it will work fine for locally stored help files. Then only remapping to <F1> and to write help script :-) Thank you very much for this tip!

          Regards,
          Pavel