put html tags around selected text

  • rameo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
      I'm searching for a script to:

      select a text and put a html tag around

      I've found snippetmate but it does not support selection of text.

    • Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
        On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM, rameo <raiwil@...> wrote:
        > I'm searching for a script to:
        >
        > select a text and put a html tag around

        Take a look into this one

      • rameo
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
          Hi Kai,

          Thank you.
          Yes that is what I searched :-)

          This is my output:
          <!-->test -->

          I would like to remove the 2nd ">" and keep a 1 character space before
          the text.

          Tried everything but I believe I haven't understand very well what you
          are doing here.
          what is 41a + a ?

        • vimml@selgrad.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hej :)

            > Tried everything but I believe I haven't understand very well what you
            > are doing here.
            > what is 41a + a ?
            I'll try to explain...

            --------------------------------------
            1 function! Blub() range
            2 exec "normal `<i<!--\<esc>" " start of the comment
            3 if a:firstline == a:lastline
            4 exec "normal `>4la-->" " end
            5 else
            6 exec "normal `>a-->" " end
            7 endif
            8 endfunction
            9
            10 vmap ,C :call Blub()<CR>
            --------------------------------------

            After you have selected something in visual mode the normal mode command
            `< moves you to the start of your selection, and `> to the end of it.
            See :help `<

            Line 2 first jumps to the start of the selection, (`<) enters insert
            mode (i) and inserts "<!--". The explicit use of \<esc> is necessary to
            get out of insert mode (or so I think).
            The conditional is used because if the end of the selection is on the
            same line as is the start of the selection then the last character you
            selected will be 4 steps to the right of the original selection, because
            the string "<!--" has been inserted before. As you can see, the only
            difference of the commands in the body of the if/else is the 4l, which
            moves the cursor 4 steps to the right.
            The a is for append which inserts "-->" after the cursor position (which
            in this case is after the originally selected character), and somehow
            doesn't need "\<esc>" at the end. Maybe this isn't necessary in line 2
            either. I'm no vimscript expert ;)

            So as you can see, this is just a hack. If you want to use it for more
            than just one case -- luckily I don't have to edit much html/xml, so I
            did not care ;) -- it would be best to get rid of that hardcoded four,
            see :help functions and choose wisely :)

            > This is my output:
            > <!-->test -->
            That looks strange. Are you sure you got the quotes/accents right?

            I transform
            ^test$
            (where ^ is start-of-line and $ is end-of-line)
            ^<!--test-->$

            Or when selecting both lines
            ^test$
            ^blub$
            ^<!--test$
            ^blub-->$

            Hope this was helpful :)
            Kai

            --
            All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.

          • caruso_g
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
              On 1 Mar, 23:47, vi...@... wrote:
              > Hej :)
              >
              > > Tried everything but I believe I haven't understand very well what you
              > > are doing here.
              > > what is 41a + a ?
              >
              > I'll try to explain...
              >
              > --------------------------------------
              > 1       function! Blub() range
              > 2               exec "normal `<i<!--\<esc>"             " start of the comment
              > 3               if a:firstline == a:lashttp://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1218tline
              > 4                       exec "normal `>4la-->"                          " end
              > 5               else
              > 6                       exec "normal `>a-->"                            " end
              > 7               endif
              > 8       endfunction
              > 9
              > 10      vmap ,C :call Blub()<CR>
              > --------------------------------------
              >
              > After you have selected something in visual mode the normal mode command
              > `< moves you to the start of your selection, and `> to the end of it.
              > See :help `<
              >
              > Line 2 first jumps to the start of the selection, (`<) enters insert
              > mode (i) and inserts "<!--". The explicit use of \<esc> is necessary to
              > get out of insert mode (or so I think).
              > The conditional is used because if the end of the selection is on the
              > same line as is the start of the selection then the last character you
              > selected will be 4 steps to the right of the original selection, because
              > the string "<!--" has been inserted before. As you can see, the only
              > difference of the commands in the body of the if/else is the 4l, which
              > moves the cursor 4 steps to the right.
              > The a is for append which inserts "-->" after the cursor position (which
              > in this case is after the originally selected character), and somehow
              > doesn't need "\<esc>" at the end. Maybe this isn't necessary in line 2
              > either. I'm no vimscript expert ;)
              >
              > So as you can see, this is just a hack. If you want to use it for more
              > than just one case -- luckily I don't have to edit much html/xml, so I
              > did not care ;) -- it would be best to get rid of that hardcoded four,
              > see :help functions and choose wisely :)
              >
              > > This is my output:
              > > <!-->test -->
              >
              > That looks strange. Are you sure you got the quotes/accents right?
              >
              > I transform
              > ^test$
              > (where ^ is start-of-line and $ is end-of-line)
              > ^<!--test-->$
              >
              > Or when selecting both lines
              > ^test$
              > ^blub$
              > ^<!--test$
              > ^blub-->$
              >
              > Hope this was helpful :)
              >         Kai
              >
              > --
              > All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.

              Use surround plugin, it's practically perfect. While for comments
              there is the excellent NERDCommenter: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1218

            • rameo
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                Kai,

                Thank you very much for your reply!

                I don't know why but whatever I try I always have the ">" after <!--

                I went on searching on the net and with the code I found I created
                this:
                :vmap ,C "zdi<!-- <C-R>z --><ESC>

                this works for one and multiline.

              • Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hey Kai!

                  On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM, <vimml@...> wrote:
                  > Line 2 first jumps to the start of the selection, (`<) enters insert
                  > mode (i) and inserts "<!--". The explicit use of \<esc> is necessary to
                  > get out of insert mode (or so I think).
                  > The conditional is used because if the end of the selection is on the
                  > same line as is the start of the selection then the last character you
                  > selected will be 4 steps to the right of the original selection, because
                  > the string "<!--" has been inserted before. As you can see, the only
                  > difference of the commands in the body of the if/else is the 4l, which
                  > moves the cursor 4 steps to the right.
                  > The a is for append which inserts "-->" after the cursor position (which
                  > in this case is after the originally selected character), and somehow
                  > doesn't need "\<esc>" at the end. Maybe this isn't necessary in line 2
                  > either. I'm no vimscript expert ;)

                  The following works fine for me.
                  ---------------------------------------
                  function! Blub() range
                  echo "hallo"
                  exec "normal `>a-->"
                  exec "normal `<i<!--"
                  endfunction

                • rameo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Kai,

                    I have found the reason why there was a ">" behind the tag <!--
                    I have the plugin autoclose and added autoclose of "<" character.

                    Thanks.
                    Rameo