FedoraCore 8

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27 4:16 PM
      Hello,

      I tried 3 ways to install "vim-with-everything" on Fedora Core 8, but failed:

      Attempt 1) vim-7.2.tar.bz2 - typing make resulted in the following error:

      checking for rlim_t... yes
      checking for stack_t... yes
      checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
      checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
      checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
      checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
      checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
      no terminal library found
      checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
      You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
      Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
      make[1]: *** [config] Error 1
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/h/sgovinda/tmp/vim72/src'
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      Attempt 2) Was unable to find vim-enhanced-7.2.315-1 fc8 rpm on the internet.

      Attempt 3) rpm -iv --test vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686.rpm resulted in:

      warning: vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 signature: NOKEY, key ID 57bbccba
      error: Failed dependencies:
      libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.11) is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      libgpm.so.2 is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      libpython2.6.so.1.0 is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.10.0) is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      vim-common = 2:7.2.245-3.fc12 is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686
      rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686

      Please help.

      --Suresh

    • Benjamin R. Haskell
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27 4:36 PM
        On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Suresh Govindachar wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I tried 3 ways to install "vim-with-everything" on Fedora Core 8, but failed:
        >
        > Attempt 1) vim-7.2.tar.bz2 - typing make resulted in the following error:
        >
        > [...]
        > checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
        > You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
        > Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.

        Generally, to compile software on RPM-based distributions, you need to
        install '-dev' or '-devel' packages for things that are normally
        installed as binaries.

        So, you might have 'curses' or 'ncurses' installed, but you also need
        'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-dev' (I don't know the correct name).

        You'll probably need several such packages. The following is probably
        your easiest approach:

        > Matt Wozniski wrote on February 11th:
        >
        > > Or just "sudo apt-get build-dep vim" to get all of the dependencies
        > > needed to build the version that's in the repositories. In theory,
        > > that might not be all of the things you need to build a vim that
        > > you're ./configuring yourself, since it won't include headers needed
        > > for features that aren't compiled into vim-gnome. In practice,
        > > though, vim-gnome includes nearly all features, so that's not really a
        > > problem. At the very least, it's the best jumping off point, since
        > > the worst case is that you need to track down one or two more missing
        > > packages.

        > [...]
        > Attempt 2) Was unable to find vim-enhanced-7.2.315-1 fc8 rpm on the internet.

        Seems unlikely to exist. Fedora 8 is pretty old. Latest vim-enhanced
        in the official repository looks to be 7.1.135-1
        (
        http://archive.kernel.org/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/)

        > Attempt 3) rpm -iv --test vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686.rpm resulted in:

        This is also unlikely to work without significant hassle. Between
        versions, RPM-based distributions tend to only work with a given version
        of the core libraries.

        > [...]
        > error: Failed dependencies:
        > libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.11) is needed by vim-enhanced-7.2.245-3.fc12.i686

        In this case, it looks like Fedora 8 doesn't have the version of the GNU
        C library (GLIBC) that the Fedora 12 package would require.

      • Matt Wozniski
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28 10:16 AM
          On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <vim@...> wrote:
          > So, you might have 'curses' or 'ncurses' installed, but you also need
          > 'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-dev' (I don't know the correct name).
          >
          > You'll probably need several such packages.  The following is probably
          > your easiest approach:
          >
          >> Matt Wozniski wrote on February 11th:
          >>
          >> > Or just "sudo apt-get build-dep vim" to get all of the dependencies
          >> > needed to build the version that's in the repositories.  In theory,
          >> > that might not be all of the things you need to build a vim that
          >> > you're ./configuring yourself, since it won't include headers needed
          >> > for features that aren't compiled into vim-gnome.  In practice,
          >> > though, vim-gnome includes nearly all features, so that's not really a
          >> > problem.  At the very least, it's the best jumping off point, since
          >> > the worst case is that you need to track down one or two more missing
          >> > packages.

          Unfortunately, that only works on deb-based systems, not RPM ones.
          I'd hope that RPM based systems have something similar, but I don't
          know about it; all of the Linux systems I've ever admin'ed have been
          Debian-derived.

          ~Matt

        • Benjamin R. Haskell
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28 10:25 AM
            On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Matt Wozniski wrote:

            > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell <vim@...> wrote:
            > > So, you might have 'curses' or 'ncurses' installed, but you also
            > > need 'curses-devel' or 'ncurses-dev' (I don't know the correct
            > > name).
            > >
            > > You'll probably need several such packages.  The following is
            > > probably your easiest approach:

            > Unfortunately, that only works on deb-based systems, not RPM ones.
            > I'd hope that RPM based systems have something similar, but I don't
            > know about it; all of the Linux systems I've ever admin'ed have been
            > Debian-derived.

            Ah, sorry. I haven't used either RPM- or deb-based distros for a very
            long time, much preferring Gentoo.

            Googling 'fedora apt-get build-dep' suggests the Fedora version of that
            command is:

            yum-builddep vim-enhanced

            --
            Best,
            Ben

          • Suresh Govindachar
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28 1:33 PM
              Just to end the thread on installing vim on certain unix systems
              (based on replies from Benjamin R. Haskell and Matt Wozniski):

              1) Build of sources might not work since the installation might
              not have some "developer" packages needed for the build
              process. One would think that an installation of Fedora would
              have "everything" whereas an installation of "RedHat" might
              miss some developer packages but I found a Fedora 8 install
              that did not have things needed to build vim!

              2) Links google finds of rpms for old unixes might be broken.
              This is a good place for packages for old OS:
              http://archive.kernel.org/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/Packages/

              3) On Debian based systems, such as ubuntu, one can use the
              "sudo apt-get" (that's apt, not app!) command; more details
              for ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VimHowto

              4) On Fedora, one can use the "yum" command; for example, on
              Fedora 8, "yum install vim-enhanced" will install vim 7.1 with
              patches 1-242. Note that the rpm listed in the link at (2),
              viz., vim-enhanced-7.1.135-1.fc8.i386.rpm, has only 135 patches
              but yum was able to install vim-enhanced with 242 patches; no
              idea where yum found this! (The latest version of vim that
              yum finds on Fedora 5 is 7.0.042.)

              --Suresh

            • pansz
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28 7:51 PM
                > 1) Build of sources might not work since the installation might
                > not have some "developer" packages needed for the build
                > process. One would think that an installation of Fedora would
                > have "everything" whereas an installation of "RedHat" might
                > miss some developer packages but I found a Fedora 8 install
                > that did not have things needed to build vim!

                This is true for all mainstream Linux distributions: you may need 50G
                disk spaces to install all developer packages or some 100G to install
                "everything".

                Believe me, you won't want to install everything and you don't even want
                to download everything.

                > 4) On Fedora, one can use the "yum" command; for example, on
                > Fedora 8, "yum install vim-enhanced" will install vim 7.1 with
                > patches 1-242. Note that the rpm listed in the link at (2),
                > viz., vim-enhanced-7.1.135-1.fc8.i386.rpm, has only 135 patches
                > but yum was able to install vim-enhanced with 242 patches; no
                > idea where yum found this! (The latest version of vim that
                > yum finds on Fedora 5 is 7.0.042.)

                You'll have a hard time if you don't know how to use the "package
                manager". Because most mainstream Linux distributions are much bigger
                than a DVD and they won't install everything by default.

                The installation media gives you a basic system, the package manager
                helps you find what you want in the remaining 100G.

              • Suresh Govindachar
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
                  pansz wrote:

                  >> 1) Build of sources might not work since the installation
                  >> might not have some "developer" packages needed for the
                  >> build process. One would think that an installation of
                  >> Fedora would have "everything" whereas an installation of
                  >> "RedHat" might miss some developer packages but I found a
                  >> Fedora 8 install that did not have things needed to build
                  >> vim!
                  >
                  > This is true for all mainstream Linux distributions: you may
                  > need 50G disk spaces to install all developer packages or some
                  > 100G to install "everything".
                  >
                  > Believe me, you won't want to install everything and you don't
                  > even want to download everything.
                  >

                  >> 4) On Fedora, one can use the "yum" command; for example, on
                  >> Fedora 8, "yum install vim-enhanced" will install vim 7.1
                  >> with patches 1-242. Note that the rpm listed in the link
                  >> at (2), viz., vim-enhanced-7.1.135-1.fc8.i386.rpm, has only
                  >> 135 patches but yum was able to install vim-enhanced with
                  >> 242 patches; no idea where yum found this! (The latest
                  >> version of vim that yum finds on Fedora 5 is 7.0.042.)
                  >
                  > You'll have a hard time if you don't know how to use the
                  > "package manager". Because most mainstream Linux distributions
                  > are much bigger than a DVD and they won't install everything by
                  > default.
                  >
                  > The installation media gives you a basic system, the package
                  > manager helps you find what you want in the remaining 100G.

                  Thanks for the info! This page was helpful too:
                  http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6546/1/

                  To recap the error message from make on Fedora 8:

                  checking whether stack_t has an ss_base field... no
                  checking --with-tlib argument... empty: automatic terminal library selection
                  checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
                  checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
                  checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
                  checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
                  no terminal library found
                  checking for tgetent()... configure: error: NOT FOUND!
                  You need to install a terminal library; for example ncurses.
                  Or specify the name of the library with --with-tlib.
                  make[1]: *** [config] Error 1
                  make[1]: Leaving directory `/h/sgovinda/tmp/vim72/src'
                  make: *** [first] Error 2

                  The command:

                  yum provides 'ncurses'

                  showed that ncurses-5.6-12.20070812.fc8.i386 was installed.

                  The command:

                  yum info "*ncurses*dev*"

                  listed ncurses-devel.

                  Issuing "yum install ncurses-devel" resulted in a successful make.

                  Thanks,

                  --Suresh