Re: gvim window size on Windows

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2010
      On 01/02/10 06:03, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
      >> Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
      >> (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???
      >
      > Ancient tip that's been done to death, no?
      >
      > Set your rows/cols to 9999 or something huge, should max out to the actual screen dimensions. Or there's the simalt trick to maXimise it, as if you typed alt-space/x.
      >
      > Either one worx.

      The simalt trick is locale-dependent, since the key for Maximize is not
      X in every menu language. In addition, it is win32-only (if someday you
      migrate to Linux it will stop working). OTOH,

      :set lines=999 columns=999

      (in your gvimrc, or at the GUIEnter event, or bracketed by :if
      has('gui_running') in your vimrc) should work on all systems and
      languages. It should appear _after_ you set the 'guifont', since
      changing the font may change the size of the character cell.

      Watson's Law:
      The reliability of machinery is inversely proportional to the
      number and significance of any persons watching it.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
        On Jan 31, 11:03 pm, Gene Kwiecinski <gkwiecin...@...> wrote:
        > Or there's the simalt trick to maXimise it, as if you typed alt-space/x.

        That would be:
        " maximize Vim window
        autocmd GUIEnter * simalt ~x

        ...in your _vimrc or _gvimrc

      • meino.cramer@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
          KKde <khekadestroyer@...> [10-02-01 18:26]:

          > >  at work I am using gvim on Windows.
          > >
          > >  Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
          > >  (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???
          > >
          > >  I am tired of clicking the title bar each time I start
          > >  gvim...
          >
          > If you are opening gvim from shortcut then right click on the shortcut
          > and click on properties and then in Run field select Maximized (in
          > drop down menu). I hope this solves your purpose.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Kkde

          Thanks to you all for your helps !

          Vim for Editor!