gvim window size on Windows

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2010

      at work I am using gvim on Windows.

      Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
      (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???

      I am tired of clicking the title bar each time I start
      gvim...

      Thank you very much for any help in advance! :)

      Have a nice week!
      Best regards,
      mcc

    • Gene Kwiecinski
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2010
        >Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
        >(whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???

        Ancient tip that's been done to death, no?

        Set your rows/cols to 9999 or something huge, should max out to the actual screen dimensions. Or there's the simalt trick to maXimise it, as if you typed alt-space/x.

        Either one worx.

      • KKde
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2010
          >  at work I am using gvim on Windows.
          >
          >  Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
          >  (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???
          >
          >  I am tired of clicking the title bar each time I start
          >  gvim...

          If you are opening gvim from shortcut then right click on the shortcut
          and click on properties and then in Run field select Maximized (in
          drop down menu). I hope this solves your purpose.

          Regards,
          Kkde

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2010
            On 01/02/10 06:03, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
            >> Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
            >> (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???
            >
            > Ancient tip that's been done to death, no?
            >
            > Set your rows/cols to 9999 or something huge, should max out to the actual screen dimensions. Or there's the simalt trick to maXimise it, as if you typed alt-space/x.
            >
            > Either one worx.

            The simalt trick is locale-dependent, since the key for Maximize is not
            X in every menu language. In addition, it is win32-only (if someday you
            migrate to Linux it will stop working). OTOH,

            :set lines=999 columns=999

            (in your gvimrc, or at the GUIEnter event, or bracketed by :if
            has('gui_running') in your vimrc) should work on all systems and
            languages. It should appear _after_ you set the 'guifont', since
            changing the font may change the size of the character cell.

            Watson's Law:
            The reliability of machinery is inversely proportional to the
            number and significance of any persons watching it.

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
              On Jan 31, 11:03 pm, Gene Kwiecinski <gkwiecin...@...> wrote:
              > Or there's the simalt trick to maXimise it, as if you typed alt-space/x.

              That would be:
              " maximize Vim window
              autocmd GUIEnter * simalt ~x

              ...in your _vimrc or _gvimrc

            • meino.cramer@gmx.de
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
                KKde <khekadestroyer@...> [10-02-01 18:26]:

                > >  at work I am using gvim on Windows.
                > >
                > >  Is it possible to instruct gvim to open in full size
                > >  (whole screen) instead of a quarter of the screen size???
                > >
                > >  I am tired of clicking the title bar each time I start
                > >  gvim...
                >
                > If you are opening gvim from shortcut then right click on the shortcut
                > and click on properties and then in Run field select Maximized (in
                > drop down menu). I hope this solves your purpose.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Kkde

                Thanks to you all for your helps !

                Vim for Editor!