Re: Adjusting line lengths

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2010
      On 13/12/09 12:59, Hattori Hanzo wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > and thanks to all of you!
      >
      > The joining issue is solved by
      >
      > :2,$j!
      >
      > and the splitting issue by
      >
      > :s/.\{49}/&\r/g
      >
      > As I'm working with genes, files are not that big and contain about 10000
      > characters. However, when it comes to genomes, sequence lengths will get
      > bigger. Therefore also thanks for the tip with file sizes beyond 10000
      > lines.
      >
      > David

      Also, you may prefer to only join lines not starting with >. I think the
      following (untested) will do it:

      :%s/^[^>].*\zs\n\ze[^>]//

      Explanation: replace a line-break by nothing if preceded by
      (start-of-line then not a > then zero or more of anything) and followed
      by (not a > character). It _will_ join any number of lines, possibly
      creating very long lines, with the performance hit that goes with it.

      See
      :help pattern-overview

      which (until the next line of ====) is a kind of "cheat sheet" about
      search patterns.

      One Vim quirk which is relevant here (and also for your other question,
      of breaking the long line into shorter lines of fixed length) is that
      you *match* a line break with \n but (in the second part of an :s
      command) you *insert* a line break with \r

      The typewriting machine, when played with expression, is no more
      annoying than the piano when played by a sister or near relation.
      -- Oscar Wilde