Re: just starting with mingw in windows

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2010
      On 29/01/10 18:32, o1792 wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > How can I get my native window Gvim to compile and make programs in MinGW/MSys? I.e. I don't want to edit the code, and then switch to the MSys commandline. I 'd liek to type make and run the program from with the native windows vim environment.
      >
      > I expect I need to tell vim where to look, assuming it's possible that is.
      >
      > I looked this up in google, but the interest there seemed to be about compiling vim with mingw, which I couldn't see the point of, as the native binary on vim.org does the business.
      >
      > But this also meant I couldn't get any decent results for what I wanted.
      >
      > Advice welcome. Thank you!

      1. You may want to use
      :compiler gcc
      before running make.

      2. You may want to read
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm (but find out
      for yourself how src/Make_ming.mak differs from src/Make_cyg.mak -- the
      principles ought to be quite similar but some details may differ).

      3. Where bash uses
      export NAME='value'
      you can achieve the same in Vim with
      :let $NAME = 'value'

      4. Any external program can be run with
      :!progname
      or (if you want the output in a buffer)
      :0r !progname
      ; in addition, instead of
      make <arguments>
      at the bash prompt, you can use
      :make[!] <arguments
      in Vim (and see the results in quickfix if your compiler is set
      correctly). (The exclamation mark avoids jumping to the first error.)

      "Heisenberg may have slept here"