Re: How to delete everything before the cursor until the beginning of the line?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
      Marc Weber wrote:
      > Another way:
      >
      > use <c-u> in insert mode. You know about a and i to enter insert mode..

      Just a word of caution, this requires that 'backspace' include
      "start" (which it often does, but can sting you of if you expect
      it and it *isn't* set).

      -tim

    • Chris Jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 06:40:24PM EST, Tim Chase wrote:
        > Chris Jones wrote:
        > > On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 06:04:46PM EST, Peng Yu wrote:

        > >> 'D' deletes everything after the cursor until the end of the line. Is
        > >> there a command that delete everything before the cursor until the
        > >> beginning of the line?
        > >
        > > v0d is what I do.. three key presses. Surely there's a better way?
        >

        > d0
        >
        > should do the trick. No need to go visual.

        :-)

        dw, d$, dG, d{, dgg, etc. IOW, 'd'+cursor movement.. what was I
        thinking.

        CJ

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6 4:09 PM
          On 02/01/10 02:07, Chris Jones wrote:
          > On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 06:40:24PM EST, Tim Chase wrote:
          >> Chris Jones wrote:

          >>> v0d is what I do.. three key presses. Surely there's a better way?
          >>

          >> d0
          >>
          >> should do the trick. No need to go visual.
          >
          > :-)
          >
          > dw, d$, dG, d{, dgg, etc. IOW, 'd'+cursor movement.. what was I
          > thinking.
          >
          > CJ

          There is a difference though: v0d deletes everything from the start of
          the line to the cursor location _included_ (v highlights the cursor
          character, then 0 extends the visual selection to the start of the line,
          keeping the former cursor location highlighted, and finally d deletes
          the selection). With d0, the character under the cursor is not deleted,
          because 0 is an "exclusive" motion.

          "There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the
          other is to read Pope."
          -- Oscar Wilde