Re: counting keystrokes

  • Erik Falor
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2009
      On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 05:18:36PM +0100, Sven Guckes wrote:
      > years ago i had asked Bram to add some options to
      > keep statistics of the tzping - but he reclined.
      > i still would find this very useful - and fun! :)
      >
      > Bram - would you reconsider?
      > vim-8.0 with "typing stats"?

      At the most fundamental level, one can record a single macro of their
      editing session, save that out to a file, and perform whatever
      analytics on that they wish. wc -c would give the number of
      keystrokes used. You could count ^[ chars to see how many times
      insert or visual mode were entered/exited.

      This wouldn't help the OP much, but would make possible Vim-Golf
      competitions to see who could transform a given file into a designated
      form through the least effort.

      --
      Erik Falor
    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2009
        On Dec 23, 3:09 pm, Matt Wozniski <m...@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Erik Falor wrote:
        > > At the most fundamental level, one can record a single macro of their
        > > editing session
        > > This wouldn't help the OP much, but would make possible Vim-Golf
        > > competitions to see who could transform a given file into a designated
        > > form through the least effort.
        >
        > Unless, of course, they wanted to use macros.  ;-)

        You could use the -w startup flag rather than a macro. I assume macro
        recording still works with -w?