Re: "error: Entry 'runtime/doc/tags' not uptodate. Cannot merge." with vim_mainline git repository

  • Markus Heidelberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      Dennis Benzinger, 2009-12-02:

      > > The 'master' branch (including the latest runtime files) currently
      > > doesn't have this problem, but the 'vim' branch. Did you use the latter?

      I guess the 'master' branch had the problem before my last push.

      > dennis@devBenzingerLinux:~/git_repos/vim_mainline$ git status
      > # On branch master
      > # Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 2 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
      > #
      > # Changed but not updated:
      > # (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
      > #
      > # modified: runtime/doc/tags
      >
      > So I suppose I'm using the "master" branch.

      Yes, you are.

      > > > Because I use this working tree just to compile Vim I didn't change
      > > > this file on purpose.
      > >
      > > It gets modified during "make install".
      >
      > Why is the tags file in the working tree updated and not just in the
      > target directory of the installation?

      Why not? The vim binary is also created at src/vim and not directly at
      /usr/bin/vim. That's the distinction between compiling and installing.

      But if you'd ask "why is the tags file included in Vim's sources at
      all?", then I wouldn't know the answer.
      Ah, wait, I have an idea: it's for people using the latest runtime files
      directly from ftp, without installing them with "make install".

      > > This problem is caused by patches like the oldfiles or startuptime
      > > patches, which modify documentation files in the runtime directory and
      > > add helptags in these files, but don't modify runtime/doc/tags. This
      > > file is only up-to-date in the lastest runtime files from the ftp
      > > server. Nasty.
      > > [...]
      >
      > Isn't the "master" branch meant to include the latest runtime files?

      Of course, sorry for being confusing in my explanation.

      Markus