Re: Repeat entry into insert mode?

  • Chris Suter
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
      Chris Suter wrote:
      > Say I've entered insert mode by typing 4s -- removing four
      > characters from the current cursor position and leaving me in
      > insert mode. Is there a built-in means of repeating this?

      I'm sure you know that (in normal mode) pressing . will repeat
      the change, but it will insert the same text that you typed the
      first time.

      I use a very simple kludge:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Copy_or_change_search_hit

      The above is surprisingly helpful. In your case, I would search
      for "xml" then type cs ("change search") and type the new text,
      then n (find next), then cs then type new text.

      Of course there is not much difference between 4s and cs, but
      the cs is always the same and so can be typed on automatic.

      John

      John,

      This is amazing!! Thank you so much! Way more useful than what I was thinking of.

      --
      Christopher Suter
      www.grooveshark.com