Re: Custom Paragraph Formatting with gq

  • Chris Jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 01:05:32AM EST, Robert Chan wrote:
      > I have logbook entries that have the following structure:
      >
      > [entry title 1]
      > Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse blandit
      > ipsum vel elit ultrices pharetra rhoncus tellus aliquam. Donec quis dolor ac
      > elit vestibulum rhoncus. Quisque adipiscing dolor vitae urna molestie in
      > vulputate arcu mattis. Donec felis augue, aliquam dictum mattis vitae,
      > pretium in massa.
      >
      > What I would like to do is apply 'gq' command to format all the paragraphs
      > in the file, but the [entry title 1] header also gets formatted (which I
      > don't want.) So it turns out something like this:

      [..]

      > Any ideas?
      >
      > (I've been reading 'formatoptions' and fo-table but could not find anything
      > of related to custom paragraph settings.)

      If you're in a rush, or just lazy, another option is to record a macro:

      qr record macro name 'r'
      o^[/[^MO^[?]^Mjjgqipjdd?]^Mjdd/[^M format one entry
      q end recording
      ugg undo and move to line 1

      999@r replay 999 times

      The macro actually works to some extent, and is a variation on adding blank lines
      temporarily.

      CJ