Re: "error: Entry 'runtime/doc/tags' not uptodate. Cannot merge." with vim_mainline git repository

  • Gregory Margo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 04:31:47PM +0100, Dennis Benzinger wrote:
      > I use the vim_mainline git repository at
      > http://repo.or.cz/w/vim_mainline.git to get the vim sources.
      > Since a few days I get an "error: Entry 'runtime/doc/tags' not uptodate. Cannot merge." message when I do git pull.
      >
      > How can I restore the version in the vim_mainline repository?

      git checkout runtime/doc/tags

      > And what could have caused this error?

      I don't know offhand. It was happening for me too but then stopped.

      Gregory H. Margo
      gmargo at yahoo/com, gmail/com, pacbell/net; greg at margofamily/org

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        Dennis Benzinger, 2009-12-01:
        > Since a few days I get an "error: Entry 'runtime/doc/tags' not
        > uptodate. Cannot merge." message when I do git pull.

        The 'master' branch (including the latest runtime files) currently
        doesn't have this problem, but the 'vim' branch. Did you use the latter?

        > Because I use this working tree just to compile Vim I didn't change
        > this file on purpose.

        It gets modified during "make install".

        > And what could have caused this error?

        This problem is caused by patches like the oldfiles or startuptime
        patches, which modify documentation files in the runtime directory and
        add helptags in these files, but don't modify runtime/doc/tags. This
        file is only up-to-date in the lastest runtime files from the ftp
        server. Nasty.

        Markus

      • Dennis Benzinger
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi Markus!

          -------- Original-Nachricht --------
          > Datum: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:01:38 +0100
          > Von: Markus Heidelberg <markus.heidelberg@...>
          > An: vim_use@...
          > Betreff: Re: "error: Entry \'runtime/doc/tags\' not uptodate. Cannot merge." with vim_mainline git repository

          > Dennis Benzinger, 2009-12-01:
          > > Since a few days I get an "error: Entry 'runtime/doc/tags' not
          > > uptodate. Cannot merge." message when I do git pull.
          >
          > The 'master' branch (including the latest runtime files) currently
          > doesn't have this problem, but the 'vim' branch. Did you use the latter?

          I'm a git newbie so I don't really know. I started by doing
          "git clone git://repo.or.cz/vim_mainline.git" and then updated from time
          to time by "git pull". Git status shows the following:
          dennis@devBenzingerLinux:~/git_repos/vim_mainline$ git status
          # On branch master
          # Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 2 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
          #
          # Changed but not updated:
          # (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
          #
          # modified: runtime/doc/tags
          #
          # Untracked files:
          # (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
          #
          # install.log
          # make.log
          # myvim.version
          # vim.version
          no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

          So I suppose I'm using the "master" branch.

          > > Because I use this working tree just to compile Vim I didn't change
          > > this file on purpose.
          >
          > It gets modified during "make install".

          Why is the tags file in the working tree updated and not just in the
          target directory of the installation?

          > > And what could have caused this error?
          >
          > This problem is caused by patches like the oldfiles or startuptime
          > patches, which modify documentation files in the runtime directory and
          > add helptags in these files, but don't modify runtime/doc/tags. This
          > file is only up-to-date in the lastest runtime files from the ftp
          > server. Nasty.
          > [...]

          Isn't the "master" branch meant to include the latest runtime files?

          Thanks for your explanations and the git repositories!

          Regards,
          Dennis Benzinger

        • Markus Heidelberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            Dennis Benzinger, 2009-12-02:

            > > The 'master' branch (including the latest runtime files) currently
            > > doesn't have this problem, but the 'vim' branch. Did you use the latter?

            I guess the 'master' branch had the problem before my last push.

            > dennis@devBenzingerLinux:~/git_repos/vim_mainline$ git status
            > # On branch master
            > # Your branch is behind 'origin/master' by 2 commits, and can be fast-forwarded.
            > #
            > # Changed but not updated:
            > # (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
            > #
            > # modified: runtime/doc/tags
            >
            > So I suppose I'm using the "master" branch.

            Yes, you are.

            > > > Because I use this working tree just to compile Vim I didn't change
            > > > this file on purpose.
            > >
            > > It gets modified during "make install".
            >
            > Why is the tags file in the working tree updated and not just in the
            > target directory of the installation?

            Why not? The vim binary is also created at src/vim and not directly at
            /usr/bin/vim. That's the distinction between compiling and installing.

            But if you'd ask "why is the tags file included in Vim's sources at
            all?", then I wouldn't know the answer.
            Ah, wait, I have an idea: it's for people using the latest runtime files
            directly from ftp, without installing them with "make install".

            > > This problem is caused by patches like the oldfiles or startuptime
            > > patches, which modify documentation files in the runtime directory and
            > > add helptags in these files, but don't modify runtime/doc/tags. This
            > > file is only up-to-date in the lastest runtime files from the ftp
            > > server. Nasty.
            > > [...]
            >
            > Isn't the "master" branch meant to include the latest runtime files?

            Of course, sorry for being confusing in my explanation.

            Markus