Re: How to compile with guifont ?

  • Mikael Eriksson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 03:59:37PM +0200, Timothy Madden wrote:
      > Hello
      >
      > I compiled vim on a debian server and installed in in my home folder
      > (~/usr/local),
      > but the resulting executable can see no fonts when I press Tab on
      > :set guifont=<Tab>

      That doen't work i think, but you can use
      :set guifont=*
      to get a nice font selection dialog.

    • Timothy Madden
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
        :set guifont=*

        Works on Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon. Looks like I have none of
        these.
        Thank you for the answers. I think I have to leave this problem as it
        is for
        now ...

        Thank you,
        Timothy Madden

        On Dec 1, 1:34 pm, Mikael Eriksson <mikael_eriks...@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 03:59:37PM +0200, Timothy Madden wrote:
        > > Hello
        >
        > > I compiled vim on a debian server and installed in in my home folder
        > > (~/usr/local),
        > > but the resulting executable can see no fonts when I press Tab on
        > >    :set guifont=<Tab>
        >
        > That doen't work i think, but you can use
        > :set guifont=*
        > to get a nice font selection dialog.

      • Matt Wozniski
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
          On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Timothy Madden wrote:
          > :set guifont=*
          >
          > Works on Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon. Looks like I have none of
          > these.
          > Thank you for the answers. I think I have to leave this problem as it
          > is for
          > now ...

          It also works fine for my gvim, which is X11-Motif... I'd be really
          surprised if it doesn't work with X11-Athena...

          ~Matt

        • pansz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2009
            Timothy Madden 写道:
            > Hello
            >
            > I compiled vim on a debian server and installed in in my home folder
            > (~/usr/local),
            > but the resulting executable can see no fonts when I press Tab on
            > :set guifont=<Tab>
            > and the default font is looking too condensed. The Edit menu has no GUI Font
            > entry.

            X11-Athena is the fallback when no other gui toolkit found, perhaps all
            you need is the gtk-dev related dependency. with a full-featured gtk
            version you will be able to set gui font.

            simply run the following to install the dependencies:

            sudo apt-get build-dep vim

            then configure your vim and make. that should work for your debian.

            try it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2009
              On 30/11/09 14:59, Timothy Madden wrote:
              > Hello
              >
              > I compiled vim on a debian server and installed in in my home folder
              > (~/usr/local),
              > but the resulting executable can see no fonts when I press Tab on
              > :set guifont=<Tab>
              > and the default font is looking too condensed. The Edit menu has no GUI
              > Font entry.
              >
              > I use ssh -Y to run gvim on my local desktop (with Ubuntu 9.10).
              >
              > fc-list shows many, many
              > fonts installed (also locally in my home folder) on the server, and the
              > desktop machine also
              > has a GUI desktop with all the fonts.
              >
              > My :version is
              > :version
              > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Nov 27 2009 14:45:34)
              > Compiled by adrianc@...
              > Normal version with X11-Athena GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              [...]

              Any Vim GUI can set the font; the problem is that only some of them (not
              including yours, apparently) can tell you from which fonts it is
              possible to choose. So you'll have to guess.

              If you have the LucidaTypewriter font installed (on the computer where
              gvim is running), you might try

              :set gfn=-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-90-*-*-m-*-*

              or else, if you have a Courier font installed there, you might try

              :set gfn=-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-90-*-*-m-*-*

              (where 90 is the size, in tenths of point I think: the larger the
              number, the bigger the font). Similarly for other font faces: I'm just
              mentioning these two because they are fairly common, so there's a
              substantial chance that you've got them. The -m- near the end is
              essential: it means "monotype" (i.e. fixed-width); Vim won't use any
              other kind of font (except on GTK2, where other kinds look ugly anyway).

              Note that if in the meantime you have installed a GTK2 version of Vim,
              the above settings won't work (but GTK2 gvim has the nice ":set gfn=*"
              menu, so this whole discussion is moot in that case).

              For more details, including how to set the font in a vimrc which is to
              be used on various versions of gvim and possibly on various OSes, see
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Setting_the_font_in_the_GUI

              To understand this important story, you have to understand how the
              telephone company works. Your telephone is connected to a local
              computer, which is in turn connected to a regional computer, which is
              in turn connected to a loudspeaker the size of a garbage truck on the
              lawn of Edna A. Bargewater of Lawrence, Kan.

              Whenever you talk on the phone, your local computer listens in. If it
              suspects you're going to discuss an intimate topic, it notifies the
              computer above it, which listens in and decides whether to alert the
              one above it, until finally, if you really humiliate yourself, maybe
              break down in tears and tell your closest friend about a sordid
              incident from your past involving a seedy motel, a neighbor's spouse,
              an entire religious order, a garden hose and six quarts of tapioca
              pudding, the top computer feeds your conversation into Edna's
              loudspeaker, and she and her friends come out on the porch to listen
              and drink gin and laugh themselves silly.
              -- Dave Barry, "Won't It Be Just Great Owning Our Own
              Phones?"

            • Dominique Pellé
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
                Matt Wozniski wrote:

                > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Timothy Madden wrote:
                >> :set guifont=*
                >>
                >> Works on Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon. Looks like I have none of
                >> these.
                >> Thank you for the answers. I think I have to leave this problem as it
                >> is for
                >> now ...
                >
                > It also works fine for my gvim, which is X11-Motif... I'd be really
                > surprised if it doesn't work with X11-Athena...
                >
                > ~Matt

                ":help 'guifont'" says...
                ======================================
                For Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon: >
                :set guifont=*
                < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.
                ======================================

                ... which implicitly means that ":set guifont=*" is not possible for
                Athena GUI. And "set guifont=*" does not work indeed with Athena
                GUI. It gives:

                E236: Font "*" is not fixed-width
                E596: Invalid font(s): guifont=*

                Motif is not listed either, but doing ":guifont=*" with Motif does
                bring a popup window to chose the font. So I think Motif should
                be listed in the help page:

                $ diff -c options.txt.orig options.txt
                *** options.txt.orig 2010-01-01 11:39:25.502514991 +0100
                --- options.txt 2010-01-01 11:39:31.377465863 +0100
                ***************
                *** 3250,3256 ****
                the case of X). The font names given should be "normal" fonts. Vim
                will try to find the related bold and italic fonts.

                ! For Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon: >
                :set guifont=*
                < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.

                --- 3250,3256 ----
                the case of X). The font names given should be "normal" fonts. Vim
                will try to find the related bold and italic fonts.

                ! For Win32, GTK, Motif, Mac OS and Photon: >
                :set guifont=*
                < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.

                -- Dominique

              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Dominique Pelle wrote:

                  > ":help 'guifont'" says...
                  > ======================================
                  > For Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon: >
                  > :set guifont=*
                  > < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.
                  > ======================================
                  >
                  > ... which implicitly means that ":set guifont=*" is not possible for
                  > Athena GUI. And "set guifont=*" does not work indeed with Athena
                  > GUI. It gives:
                  >
                  > E236: Font "*" is not fixed-width
                  > E596: Invalid font(s): guifont=*
                  >
                  > Motif is not listed either, but doing ":guifont=*" with Motif does
                  > bring a popup window to chose the font. So I think Motif should
                  > be listed in the help page:
                  >
                  > $ diff -c options.txt.orig options.txt
                  > *** options.txt.orig 2010-01-01 11:39:25.502514991 +0100
                  > --- options.txt 2010-01-01 11:39:31.377465863 +0100
                  > ***************
                  > *** 3250,3256 ****
                  > the case of X). The font names given should be "normal" fonts. Vim
                  > will try to find the related bold and italic fonts.
                  >
                  > ! For Win32, GTK, Mac OS and Photon: >
                  > :set guifont=*
                  > < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.
                  >
                  > --- 3250,3256 ----
                  > the case of X). The font names given should be "normal" fonts. Vim
                  > will try to find the related bold and italic fonts.
                  >
                  > ! For Win32, GTK, Motif, Mac OS and Photon: >
                  > :set guifont=*
                  > < will bring up a font requester, where you can pick the font you want.

                  I'll change it, thanks.

                  --
                  From "know your smileys":
                  O:-) Saint