Re: Different buffer list for different tabs?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11 12:28 AM
      On 11/10/09 22:24, Tim Chase wrote:
      >> What I would like to do is to work on different projects in
      >> the same Vim program. As far as I know a tab page holds a
      >> group of windows, not a buffer list but I am wondering if I
      >> can use one tab for one project and the other tab for the
      >> other project so each project has different buffer lists.
      >> Maybe a tab isnt the right way but is there a way to achieve
      >> this or is it completely against the Vim philosophy?
      > I'm not sure it's so much philosophy, but how the hierarchy is
      > defined. Vim has a hierarchy of
      > Vim instances ->
      > Buffers ->
      > Tabs ->
      > Windows
      > and as Raul notes, inverting that hierarchy (or a piece thereof)
      > causes weird behaviors such as the treatment of "bufdo" when
      > you're on a tab.
      > A readily accessible solution is to use multiple vim instances to
      > solve the problem. On the console, this can be done with GNU
      > "screen". In X, my window manager (fluxbox) can group windows
      > together in tabbed groups so I can have multiple gvim windows (or
      > consoles with [non-g]vim, or any mix thereof) and then use my
      > window-manager's tab-management for such purposes. Since it's at
      > the WM level, I can even mix in a console tab for compiling, a
      > browser tab such as Dillo for reading online help, etc. They all
      > move/resize/minimize as one window, but I can click between the
      > tabs (or use key-chords defined in my ~/.fluxbox/keys). With
      > other WMs, YMMV.
      > Hope this gives you some ideas,
      > -tim

      On Linux, my window manager (kdm, from the KDE project) allows up to 20
      "virtual desktops" (the exact number is a user preference) within a
      single X server and winmanager, and Alt-Tab (or Alt-Shift-Tab in the
      opposite direction) cycles between windows on a single virtual deskdop
      (while Ctrl-Fn goes to virtual desktop n, Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab
      walk the desktops; or you can click a "desktop thumbnail" for any of the
      up-to-20 of them in the taskbar if you are mouse-minded). In addition to
      zero or more gvim instances, any number of the programs on any virtual
      desktop can of course be a console window, such as xterm, mlterm (which
      has true-bidi capabilities known to Vim), or the multitab konsole (with
      a separate shell in each konsole tab), a browser window such as
      Konqueror, Firefox or SeaMonkey (or Lynx within a terminal),
      etc.etc.etc. — each virtual desktop can even have its own "desktop
      background" image — so I could say the same as Tim with a different

      Best regards,
      "I'd love to go out with you, but I never go out on days that end in