How to search old message in this newsgroup?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
      I seems that I can only search recent messages on google groups. Could
      somebody let me know how to search old messages.
    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
        On Nov 9, 4:47 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@...> wrote:
        > I seems that I can only search recent messages on google groups. Could
        > somebody let me know how to search old messages.

        I wondered the same thing a while ago. Short answer: google groups'
        search interface is pretty terrible, you'll need to use something
        different. I can't actually find my original post, but suggestions I
        can come up with include:

        * Use a google site search, by searching google for
        site:groups.google.com/group/vim_use followed by your search terms.
        * Search on a mirror like Nabble instead.
        * Subscribe to get every single message posted to the group, don't
        ever delete any of them, and search using your email client.
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
          Ben Fritz wrote:
          >> I seems that I can only search recent messages on google groups. Could
          >> somebody let me know how to search old messages.
          >
          > I wondered the same thing a while ago. Short answer: google groups'
          > search interface is pretty terrible,

          Heh, I've found the *interface* isn't bad (just type in the box
          and choose whether to search all of GG or just the current
          forum)...it's the accuracy of the results that is worthless :-)
          I search for things I *know* I posted based on keywords in my
          Sent Mail folder and can't find them on GG for the life of me. I
          have similar problems with Microsoft's site, using Google to
          search it (especially any MSDN docs) for more useful results.

          Ben's idea of using "site:groups.google.com" with your terms
          works better on Google-proper than GG's self-search box even if
          it's not perfect, but it's a shameful black-eye for Google to
          fail so badly at its core business of search.

          -tim

        • Reid Thompson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
            markmail usually does a good job for the lists that it monitors

            http://markmail.org/search/?q=vim