Re: File encoding detection problem !

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2009
      On 07/11/09 17:33, Tintin72 wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm using Vim under both Win XP and Ubuntu/Linux and a files encoding
      > pb occurs at
      > the file opening.
      > If I open a latin1 encoded file with Vim under Ubuntu, the Vim's
      > fileencoding
      > is utf-8 (so the file will be saved in utf-8 and I don't want to).
      > It seems like Vim doesn't recognize the file encoding.
      > I'd like vim to open file in latin1 encoding if the file is in latin1
      > or utf8 encoding if file is in utf8.
      > Is there something to type in the vimrc ?
      >
      > Thanks

      If a file contains only characters in the range [0x00-0x7F], its
      representation is identical in US-ASCII, Latin1 or UTF-8. Therefore it
      doesn't matter in which of them it is opened, because in fact it is all
      three. Where it _would_ matter is if you add to it one or more
      characters above 0x7F while editing. To avoid that this situation arises
      later, you can force Vim to see the file as Latin1 by making it
      incompatible with UTF-8, for instance by underlining your top title with
      "divided by" signs, รท (0xF7), and making sure to save it _that time_
      under Latin1 encoding.

      Chemistry is applied theology.
      -- Augustus Stanley Owsley III