Re: set viminfo='100,:200,<50,s10,h won't change the number of commandlines saved

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
      On 11/10/09 16:43, Brett Stahlman wrote:

      > On Oct 11, 4:37 am, Jürgen Krämer<j...@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> Lily wrote:
      >>
      >>> I use
      >>> set viminfo='100,:200,<50,s10,h
      >>> in my .vimrc to try to make vim remember more lines of commands, but
      >>> it doesn't work, and
      >>> set viminfo
      >>> returns '100,:200,<50,s10,h. Anyone knows why?
      >>
      >> I'm not sure, but you might have to
      >>
      >> :set history=200
      >>
      >> as well.
      >
      > Yes. The 'viminfo' `:' flag determines how many commands are *saved*
      > to the viminfo file; the 'history' option determines how many are
      > *restored* upon startup. There's a bit of asymmetry here, since
      > 'viminfo' defaults to 'history', but not the other way around. The
      > bottom line, as Jürgen indicates, is that you should set 'history' to
      > match 'viminfo' if you want to restore all the commands you save.
      >
      > Brett Stahlman

      Actually, what 'history' determines is the maximum number of history
      items that Vim keeps in memory while running. When recording the viminfo
      (at closedown or in response to the :wvi command) there's of course no
      way Vim can record entries which it has already forgotten (because they
      exceeded the maximum number kept in memory).

      183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.