RE: Vim Wiki problem?

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
      > looks like this (notice no <!DOCTYPE <html> <title> or

      All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
      actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
      random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
      system with lots of caching servers and so forth.

      There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
      helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
      minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
      knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
      However, issues can be discussed at:

      irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia

      Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
      connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
      out...". But it's all guess work.

      John

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
        On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
        > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
        >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
        >
        > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
        > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
        > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
        > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
        >
        > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
        > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
        > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
        > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
        > However, issues can be discussed at:
        >
        > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
        >
        > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
        > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
        > out...". But it's all guess work.
        >
        > John

        "All of wikia.com"? That's bad news. :-( And "instantly once they figure
        it out" could mean next hour or next week, so, as you say, "it's all
        guesswork". :-( :-( :-(

        The new Congressmen say they're going to turn the government around. I
        hope I don't get run over again.

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
          On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
          > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
          >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
          >
          > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
          > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
          > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
          > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
          >
          > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
          > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
          > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
          > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
          > However, issues can be discussed at:
          >
          > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
          >
          > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
          > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
          > out...". But it's all guess work.
          >
          > John

          According to that chatroom, it's now up -- "sort of" (readonly, I guess:
          I can log on but not save a new page).

          A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any
          price.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
            On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
            > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
            >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
            >
            > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
            > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
            > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
            > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
            >
            > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
            > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
            > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
            > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
            > However, issues can be discussed at:
            >
            > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
            >
            > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
            > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
            > out...". But it's all guess work.
            >
            > John

            Looks like it's up now, I'm crossing fingers

            Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
            avoiding you.
            -- The Old Farmer's Almanac

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
              Until kindly reminded by a forum member just now, I failed to notice I
              sent reply to both vim_use mailing lists by hitting reply to list. I
              have my mua config updated. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

              --
              regards,
              GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                Update on the Vim Tips wiki outage nine days ago:

                The writeup is quite interesting:
                http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Explanation_of_the_Sunday_outage

                And a live test for a failover system will be held soon:
                http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Iowa_datacenter_test

                John

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                  On 11/11/09 10:32, John Beckett wrote:

                  > Update on the Vim Tips wiki outage nine days ago:
                  >
                  > The writeup is quite interesting:
                  > http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Explanation_of_the_Sunday_outage
                  >
                  > And a live test for a failover system will be held soon:
                  > http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Iowa_datacenter_test
                  >
                  > John

                  Thanks to you (and Crucially ;-) ) for the follwup links :-)

                  For years a secret shame destroyed my peace --
                  I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.
                  But now I think a thought that brings me hope:
                  Neither had Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
                  -- Justin Richardson.