Re: Vim Wiki problem?

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
      On 02/11/09 03:27, Richard Hartmann wrote:

      > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 03:22, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Is it just me, or are some of you people seeing the same?
      >
      > Does not work:
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
      >

      > Works:
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips
      >

      > Richard

      Neither works for me. Can you retry? If the only ones which don't work
      are the following:

      http://vim.wikia.com/
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
      http://vim.wikia.com/Best_Vim_Tips
      http://vim.wikia.com/User:Tonymec
      http://vim.vikia.com/Working_with_Unicode
      http://vim.wikia.org/Cscope
      (a new page I was about to publish)

      then it is something I do which kills the Wiki.

      Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!

    • bill lam
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Richard Hartmann wrote:

        > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 03:22, Tony Mechelynck
        > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Is it just me, or are some of you people seeing the same?
        >
        > Does not work:
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
        >

        > Works:
        > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips

        Both not work for me.

        --
        regards,
        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

      • bill lam
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
          On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 02/11/09 03:27, Richard Hartmann wrote:
          > >
          > > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 03:22, Tony Mechelynck
          > > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> Is it just me, or are some of you people seeing the same?
          > >
          > > Does not work:
          > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
          > >

          > > Works:
          > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips
          > >

          > > Richard
          >
          > Neither works for me. Can you retry? If the only ones which don't work
          > are the following:
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com/
          > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
          > http://vim.wikia.com/Best_Vim_Tips
          > http://vim.wikia.com/User:Tonymec
          > http://vim.vikia.com/Working_with_Unicode
          > http://vim.wikia.org/Cscope
          > (a new page I was about to publish)

          All of them not work. Incidentally you wrote /v/ikia in one of them.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
            On 02/11/09 03:43, bill lam wrote:

            > On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >>
            >> On 02/11/09 03:27, Richard Hartmann wrote:

            >>> Does not work:
            >>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
            >>>

            >>> Works:
            >>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Best_Vim_Tips
            >>>

            >>> Richard
            >>
            >> Neither works for me. Can you retry? If the only ones which don't work
            >> are the following:
            >>
            >> http://vim.wikia.com/
            >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
            >> http://vim.wikia.com/Best_Vim_Tips
            >> http://vim.wikia.com/User:Tonymec
            >> http://vim.vikia.com/Working_with_Unicode
            >> http://vim.wikia.org/Cscope
            >> (a new page I was about to publish)
            >>

            > All of them not work. Incidentally you wrote /v/ikia in one of them.

            After logging out (which I could only achieve by manually removing my
            Wikia cookies), "Working with Unicode" (with a w in wikia) and "Best Vim
            Tips" work, but not the rest of the above, which still give me a blank
            page, even after Ctrl+Shift+R (Reload without cache). Disabling
            Javascript changes nothing.

            172. You join listservers just for the extra e-mail.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009

              oops (thanks Bill) http://vim.wikia.com/Working_with_Unicode

              >>> http://vim.wikia.org/Cscope
              >>> (a new page I was about to publish)
              >>>

              >> All of them not work. Incidentally you wrote /v/ikia in one of them.
              >>

              > After logging out (which I could only achieve by manually removing my
              > Wikia cookies), "Working with Unicode" (with a w in wikia) and "Best Vim
              > Tips" work, but not the rest of the above, which still give me a blank
              > page, even after Ctrl+Shift+R (Reload without cache). Disabling
              > Javascript changes nothing.
              >

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              More pages that don't work for me:

              http://vim.wikia.com/Special:SpecialPages
              http://vim.wikia.com/Special:Userlogin

              The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of
              civilization.
              -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                > Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
                > looks like this (notice no <!DOCTYPE <html> <title> or

                All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
                actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
                random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
                system with lots of caching servers and so forth.

                There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
                helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
                minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
                knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
                However, issues can be discussed at:

                irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia

                Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
                connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
                out...". But it's all guess work.

                John

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                  On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
                  > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                  >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
                  >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
                  >
                  > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
                  > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
                  > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
                  > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
                  >
                  > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
                  > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
                  > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
                  > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
                  > However, issues can be discussed at:
                  >
                  > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
                  >
                  > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
                  > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
                  > out...". But it's all guess work.
                  >
                  > John

                  "All of wikia.com"? That's bad news. :-( And "instantly once they figure
                  it out" could mean next hour or next week, so, as you say, "it's all
                  guesswork". :-( :-( :-(

                  The new Congressmen say they're going to turn the government around. I
                  hope I don't get run over again.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                    On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
                    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                    >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
                    >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
                    >
                    > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
                    > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
                    > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
                    > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
                    >
                    > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
                    > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
                    > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
                    > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
                    > However, issues can be discussed at:
                    >
                    > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
                    >
                    > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
                    > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
                    > out...". But it's all guess work.
                    >
                    > John

                    According to that chatroom, it's now up -- "sort of" (readonly, I guess:
                    I can log on but not save a new page).

                    A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any
                    price.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                      On 02/11/09 04:33, John Beckett wrote:
                      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                      >> Suddenly, any Vim Wiki URL gives me a blank page. The source
                      >> looks like this (notice no<!DOCTYPE<html> <title> or
                      >
                      > All of wikia.com is dead. Random responses (the fact that some
                      > actions at your end show different results) are usually due to
                      > random paths the traffic takes because they have quite a complex
                      > system with lots of caching servers and so forth.
                      >
                      > There is no need to notify anyone, and no questions will get
                      > helpful answers, because the Wikia staff know within five
                      > minutes that a disaster has occurred, and anyone with any
                      > knowledge is locked in a room trying to fix the problem.
                      > However, issues can be discussed at:
                      >
                      > irc://irc.freenode.net/wikia
                      >
                      > Currently, IRC is saying stuff like "yeah, looks like a
                      > connection problem...will be back instantly once they figure it
                      > out...". But it's all guess work.
                      >
                      > John

                      Looks like it's up now, I'm crossing fingers

                      Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
                      avoiding you.
                      -- The Old Farmer's Almanac

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Until kindly reminded by a forum member just now, I failed to notice I
                        sent reply to both vim_use mailing lists by hitting reply to list. I
                        have my mua config updated. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                          Update on the Vim Tips wiki outage nine days ago:

                          The writeup is quite interesting:
                          http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Explanation_of_the_Sunday_outage

                          And a live test for a failover system will be held soon:
                          http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Iowa_datacenter_test

                          John

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 11, 2009
                            On 11/11/09 10:32, John Beckett wrote:

                            > Update on the Vim Tips wiki outage nine days ago:
                            >
                            > The writeup is quite interesting:
                            > http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Explanation_of_the_Sunday_outage
                            >
                            > And a live test for a failover system will be held soon:
                            > http://www.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Crucially/Iowa_datacenter_test
                            >
                            > John

                            Thanks to you (and Crucially ;-) ) for the follwup links :-)

                            For years a secret shame destroyed my peace --
                            I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.
                            But now I think a thought that brings me hope:
                            Neither had Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
                            -- Justin Richardson.