Re: Align \tsp functionality from external program ?

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      Michael Henry <vim@...> [09-11-01 12:12]:

      > On 11/01/2009 01:51 AM, meino.cramer@... wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
      > > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
      > > [...]
      > >
      > > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
      > > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
      > > (no critosm intended !!!).
      > >
      > > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
      > > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?
      >
      > My preferred command-line tool would be... ``find`` :-)
      >
      > The ``find`` command has quite a lot of formatting capability
      > built in, using the ``-printf`` option. Your invocation above
      > with the ``-ls`` option can be written as below, with your own
      > chosen field widths such that the columns are wide enough to
      > keep thing nicely aligned:
      >
      > find / -printf "%-12i %-8k %M %-2n %-16u %-16g %-12s %Cb %Cd %CY %p\n"
      >
      > Column widths are chosen by the numbers after the "%"
      > characters, and the "-" character means to left-justify the
      > field. See the ``find`` manpage for more information, and
      > search for ``printf`` to see the many options available.
      >
      > One downside to the above-suggested method is that you have to
      > choose large enough field widths that your data will always fit
      > in the columns. I don't know of a way to have ``find``
      > calculate the minimum field width based on the data. If that's
      > a requirement, you might need a separate program to format the
      > fields.
      >
      > Michael Henry

      Hi,

      the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
      just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
      the list.
      Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.

      I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
      a formatter.

      Thanky for your help anyway...

      Keep hacking!
      mcc

    • meino.cramer@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 12:24]:

        > Hi meino.cramer!
        >
        > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
        >
        > > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
        > > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
        > > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
        > > with in one buffer) being huige enough.
        >
        > You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
        > this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
        > alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
        > its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
        > nicely.
        >
        > regards,
        > Christian

        hi christian.brandt

        awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
        to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
        is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
        input twice:
        First run to determine the correct alignment spaces, second
        run to apply those -- and this will become more of a hack
        due to the nature of awks processing the input.
        But as mentioned I want to 'use' a tool, not to program one.

        I think, the best will be to hack one in C -- this will run by
        far faster then the script processing done by awk.

        Thanks for your help.

        Keep hacking!
        mcc

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hi meino.cramer!

          On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

          > awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
          > to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
          > is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
          > input twice:

          A little script, possibly, yes. This shouldn't be that hard.

          Another possibility, I forgot about is column(1). This should be exactly
          what you are looking for.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          • …the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one.
          'Do it yourself'. That's it.

        • bob davis
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
            > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
            > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
            > the list.
            > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
            >
            > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
            > a formatter.
            >
            > Thanky for your help anyway...
            >
            > Keep hacking!
            > mcc

            As suggested previously...
            I just tested this and it seems to work.

            find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX

            The less is just for my viewing.

          • meino.cramer@gmx.de
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
              bob davis <bob@...> [09-11-01 15:24]:

              > > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
              > > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
              > > the list.
              > > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
              > >
              > > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
              > > a formatter.
              > >
              > > Thanky for your help anyway...
              > >
              > > Keep hacking!
              > > mcc
              > >
              > As suggested previously...
              > I just tested this and it seems to work.
              >
              > find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX
              >
              > The less is just for my viewing.

              Hi,

              YEAH! This is the tool I have searched for. With it I
              will be able to handle files/texts of that size without
              waiting half a day (*NO* critism against vim or Align
              intended!!!).

              Thanks for your patience and help!

              Keep hacking!
              mcc