Re: Align \tsp functionality from external program ?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi meino.cramer!

      On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

      > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
      > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
      > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
      > with in one buffer) being huige enough.

      You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
      this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
      alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
      its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
      nicely.

      regards,
      Christian

    • meino.cramer@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        Michael Henry <vim@...> [09-11-01 12:12]:

        > On 11/01/2009 01:51 AM, meino.cramer@... wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
        > > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
        > > [...]
        > >
        > > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
        > > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
        > > (no critosm intended !!!).
        > >
        > > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
        > > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?
        >
        > My preferred command-line tool would be... ``find`` :-)
        >
        > The ``find`` command has quite a lot of formatting capability
        > built in, using the ``-printf`` option. Your invocation above
        > with the ``-ls`` option can be written as below, with your own
        > chosen field widths such that the columns are wide enough to
        > keep thing nicely aligned:
        >
        > find / -printf "%-12i %-8k %M %-2n %-16u %-16g %-12s %Cb %Cd %CY %p\n"
        >
        > Column widths are chosen by the numbers after the "%"
        > characters, and the "-" character means to left-justify the
        > field. See the ``find`` manpage for more information, and
        > search for ``printf`` to see the many options available.
        >
        > One downside to the above-suggested method is that you have to
        > choose large enough field widths that your data will always fit
        > in the columns. I don't know of a way to have ``find``
        > calculate the minimum field width based on the data. If that's
        > a requirement, you might need a separate program to format the
        > fields.
        >
        > Michael Henry

        Hi,

        the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
        just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
        the list.
        Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.

        I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
        a formatter.

        Thanky for your help anyway...

        Keep hacking!
        mcc

      • meino.cramer@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
          Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 12:24]:

          > Hi meino.cramer!
          >
          > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
          >
          > > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
          > > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
          > > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
          > > with in one buffer) being huige enough.
          >
          > You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
          > this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
          > alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
          > its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
          > nicely.
          >
          > regards,
          > Christian

          hi christian.brandt

          awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
          to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
          is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
          input twice:
          First run to determine the correct alignment spaces, second
          run to apply those -- and this will become more of a hack
          due to the nature of awks processing the input.
          But as mentioned I want to 'use' a tool, not to program one.

          I think, the best will be to hack one in C -- this will run by
          far faster then the script processing done by awk.

          Thanks for your help.

          Keep hacking!
          mcc

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi meino.cramer!

            On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

            > awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
            > to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
            > is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
            > input twice:

            A little script, possibly, yes. This shouldn't be that hard.

            Another possibility, I forgot about is column(1). This should be exactly
            what you are looking for.

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            • …the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one.
            'Do it yourself'. That's it.

          • bob davis
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
              > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
              > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
              > the list.
              > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
              >
              > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
              > a formatter.
              >
              > Thanky for your help anyway...
              >
              > Keep hacking!
              > mcc

              As suggested previously...
              I just tested this and it seems to work.

              find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX

              The less is just for my viewing.

            • meino.cramer@gmx.de
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                bob davis <bob@...> [09-11-01 15:24]:

                > > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
                > > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
                > > the list.
                > > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
                > >
                > > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
                > > a formatter.
                > >
                > > Thanky for your help anyway...
                > >
                > > Keep hacking!
                > > mcc
                > >
                > As suggested previously...
                > I just tested this and it seems to work.
                >
                > find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX
                >
                > The less is just for my viewing.

                Hi,

                YEAH! This is the tool I have searched for. With it I
                will be able to handle files/texts of that size without
                waiting half a day (*NO* critism against vim or Align
                intended!!!).

                Thanks for your patience and help!

                Keep hacking!
                mcc