Re: colors and vimrc in sudo and su

  • bill lam
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, oversky wrote:

      > When I use $sudo vim file, vim uses ~/.vimrc, but not the color
      > template in ~/.vim/colors.

      Not sure what you meant by colors not used. Could you give details of
      the your problem, or did you mean the difference between vim and gvim?

      --
      regards,
      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

    • sc
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Sunday 01 November 2009, oversky wrote:

        > When I use $sudo vim file, vim uses ~/.vimrc, but not the
        > color template in ~/.vim/colors.
        > When I change to super user by su, vim uses some initial
        > vimrc and color.
        > How do I apply the user vimrc, color template and plugin
        > for the above two situations?
        > I just start using Ubuntu 9.10, and have not used linux
        > before.

        what worked for me is this: as root i changed directory to
        /root -- there i created symbolic links to my ~/.vimrc,
        ~/.gvimrc, and ~/.vim path, where '~' means the home path of
        my normal user

        sc

      • James Michael Fultz
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
          * sc <toothpik@...> [2009-11-01 13:27 -0600]:
          > > How do I apply the user vimrc, color template and plugin
          > > for the above two situations?
          > > I just start using Ubuntu 9.10, and have not used linux
          > > before.
          >
          > what worked for me is this: as root i changed directory to
          > /root -- there i created symbolic links to my ~/.vimrc,
          > ~/.gvimrc, and ~/.vim path, where '~' means the home path of
          > my normal user

          I think that a better way is to setup environment:

          # ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshenv, etc.
          EDITOR=vim
          VISUAL=$EDITOR
          export EDITOR VISUAL

          and:

          $ sudoedit file

        • pansz
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
            oversky 写道:
            > When I use $sudo vim file, vim uses ~/.vimrc, but not the color
            > template in ~/.vim/colors.
            > When I change to super user by su, vim uses some initial vimrc and
            > color.
            > How do I apply the user vimrc, color template and plugin for the above
            > two situations?
            > I just start using Ubuntu 9.10, and have not used linux before.

            for the first case, it should work, ubuntu by default will setup sudo to
            use the user environment. but ubuntu by default do *not* have the
            proper version of vim installed, you need to :sudo apt-get install vim
            before you can use vim.

            for the second case, you are using root environment, so you can do under
            your user account:
            sudo ln -s ~/.vim /root/.vim
            sudo ln -s ~/.vimrc /root/.vimrc

            then use your su and you can get the same vim env.

          • bill lam
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
              On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, James Michael Fultz wrote:

              > * sc <toothpik@...> [2009-11-01 13:27 -0600]:
              > > > How do I apply the user vimrc, color template and plugin
              > > > for the above two situations?
              > > > I just start using Ubuntu 9.10, and have not used linux
              > > > before.
              > >
              > > what worked for me is this: as root i changed directory to
              > > /root -- there i created symbolic links to my ~/.vimrc,
              > > ~/.gvimrc, and ~/.vim path, where '~' means the home path of
              > > my normal user
              >
              > I think that a better way is to setup environment:
              >
              > # ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshenv, etc.
              > EDITOR=vim
              > VISUAL=$EDITOR
              > export EDITOR VISUAL
              >
              > and:
              >
              > $ sudoedit file

              or

              $ sudo -e file

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 4, 2009
                bill lam 写道:
                > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, James Michael Fultz wrote:
                >> * sc <toothpik@...> [2009-11-01 13:27 -0600]:
                >>> what worked for me is this: as root i changed directory to
                >>> /root -- there i created symbolic links to my ~/.vimrc,
                >>> ~/.gvimrc, and ~/.vim path, where '~' means the home path of
                >>> my normal user
                >> I think that a better way is to setup environment:
                >>
                >> # ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshenv, etc.
                >> EDITOR=vim
                >> VISUAL=$EDITOR
                >> export EDITOR VISUAL
                >>
                >> and:
                >>
                >> $ sudoedit file
                >
                > or
                >
                > $ sudo -e file

                sudoedit type 1 more key than sudo vi

                sudo -e needs the same number of keystrokes, but sudo vi is easier to
                remember.

                So why do you think sudo -e or sudo edit is better than sudo vi ?

              • bill lam
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 4, 2009
                  On Thu, 05 Nov 2009, pansz wrote:

                  > bill lam 写道:
                  > > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, James Michael Fultz wrote:
                  > >> * sc <toothpik@...> [2009-11-01 13:27 -0600]:
                  > >> I think that a better way is to setup environment:
                  > >>
                  > >> # ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshenv, etc.
                  > >> EDITOR=vim
                  > >> VISUAL=$EDITOR
                  > >> export EDITOR VISUAL
                  > >>
                  > >> and:
                  > >>
                  > >> $ sudoedit file
                  > >
                  > > or
                  > >
                  > > $ sudo -e file
                  > >

                  > sudoedit type 1 more key than sudo vi
                  >
                  > sudo -e needs the same number of keystrokes, but sudo vi is easier to
                  > remember.
                  >
                  > So why do you think sudo -e or sudo edit is better than sudo vi ?

                  just a habit. actually sudo edit is easier to type than sudo -e
                  because the "-" is away from home position, that depends on keyboard
                  layout of course.

                  btw iirc nautilus allows mouse right click to call customised script
                  that bind to 'gsudo gvim file'.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2009
                    * pansz <panshizhu@...> [2009-11-05 15:05 +0800]:
                    > bill lam 写道:
                    > > On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, James Michael Fultz wrote:
                    > >> # ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/.zshenv, etc.
                    > >> EDITOR=vim
                    > >> VISUAL=$EDITOR
                    > >> export EDITOR VISUAL
                    > >>
                    > >> and:
                    > >>
                    > >> $ sudoedit file
                    > >
                    > > or
                    > >
                    > > $ sudo -e file
                    > >

                    > sudoedit type 1 more key than sudo vi
                    >
                    > sudo -e needs the same number of keystrokes, but sudo vi is easier to
                    > remember.
                    >
                    > So why do you think sudo -e or sudo edit is better than sudo vi ?

                    The latter does not preserve your personal Vim environment.

                    See sudo(8):

                    -e The -e (edit) option indicates that, instead of running a command,
                    the user wishes to edit one or more files. In lieu of a command,
                    the string "sudoedit" is used when consulting the sudoers file. If
                    the user is authorized by sudoers the following steps are taken:

                    1. Temporary copies are made of the files to be edited with the
                    owner set to the invoking user.

                    2. The editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment vari‐
                    ables is run to edit the temporary files. If neither VISUAL
                    nor EDITOR are set, the program listed in the editor sudoers
                    variable is used.

                    3. If they have been modified, the temporary files are copied back
                    to their original location and the temporary versions are
                    removed.

                    If the specified file does not exist, it will be created. Note
                    that unlike most commands run by sudo, the editor is run with the
                    invoking user’s environment unmodified. If, for some reason, sudo
                    is unable to update a file with its edited version, the user will
                    receive a warning and the edited copy will remain in a temporary
                    file.

                  • pansz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 8, 2009
                      James Michael Fultz 写道:

                      >> So why do you think sudo -e or sudo edit is better than sudo vi ?
                      >
                      > The latter does not preserve your personal Vim environment.

                      oops, got it.

                      I setup my sudo to always preserve my personal environment for all
                      commands, so I do never need the sudo -e.

                    • Matt Wozniski
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                        On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:17 PM, pansz wrote:

                        > James Michael Fultz 写道:
                        >>>
                        >>> So why do you think sudo -e or sudo edit is better than sudo vi ?
                        >>
                        >> The latter does not preserve your personal Vim environment.
                        >>
                        > oops, got it.
                        >
                        > I setup my sudo to always preserve my personal environment for all
                        > commands, so I do never need the sudo -e.

                        It's also horrifically dangerous to use "sudo vim" when "sudoedit"
                        would do. "sudo vim" means that vim runs as root, so a malicious
                        script, or a vim bug, could have catastrophic consequences.
                        "sudoedit" runs vim as your user, so malicious scripts or catastrophic
                        bugs can't result in an "rm -rf /" or worse being run.

                        If you don't absolutely *need* to run vim as root, I'd recommend
                        against it. And, if you *do* need to run vim as root, I'd recommend
                        disabling all plugins, colorschemes, syntax highlighting, etc. But
                        that's just my $0.02 - people less concerned with running an editor
                        with a history of exploitable bugs as root are of course welcome to do
                        so.

                        ~Matt

                      • pansz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 10, 2009
                          Matt Wozniski 写道:
                          > On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 8:17 PM, pansz wrote:
                          >> James Michael Fultz 写道:
                          >>>
                          >>> The latter does not preserve your personal Vim environment.
                          >>>
                          >> oops, got it.
                          >>
                          >> I setup my sudo to always preserve my personal environment for all
                          >> commands, so I do never need the sudo -e.
                          >
                          > It's also horrifically dangerous to use "sudo vim" when "sudoedit"
                          > would do. "sudo vim" means that vim runs as root, so a malicious
                          > script, or a vim bug, could have catastrophic consequences.
                          > "sudoedit" runs vim as your user, so malicious scripts or catastrophic
                          > bugs can't result in an "rm -rf /" or worse being run.

                          It convince me.

                          So the difference is: sudo -e copies the file in tmp and edit as user,
                          while sudo vi edit the file as root.

                          Hope more user know it.