Re: Align \tsp functionality from external program ?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hi meino.cramer!

      On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

      > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
      > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
      > (so to say a "carbon copy" from the filenames of the
      > files of my system :O) ) with
      > \tsp via the Align tool.
      >
      > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
      > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
      > (no critosm intended !!!).
      >
      > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
      > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?

      Well first say what exactly \tsp is doing. I am not using Align.vim so I
      do not know. Then second, please give an example, what your data looks
      like and how you would like to have it formated.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      • Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
      ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)

    • meino.cramer@gmx.de
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
        hi christian.brabandt

        1.) \tsp aligns columns on word boundaries
        2.) submit 'find . -ls' in a small directory and take a look at the
        output.

        mcc

        Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 09:28]:

        > Hi meino.cramer!
        >
        > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
        >
        > > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
        > > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
        > > (so to say a "carbon copy" from the filenames of the
        > > files of my system :O) ) with
        > > \tsp via the Align tool.
        > >
        > > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
        > > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
        > > (no critosm intended !!!).
        > >
        > > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
        > > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?
        >
        > Well first say what exactly \tsp is doing. I am not using Align.vim so I
        > do not know. Then second, please give an example, what your data looks
        > like and how you would like to have it formated.
        >

        > regards,
        > Christian
        > --
        > • Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on
        > ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)
        > Torvalds, Linus (1996-07-20). Post to linux.dev.kernel newsgroup.
        > Retrieved on 2006-08-28.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hi meino.cramer!

          On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

          > 1.) \tsp aligns columns on word boundaries
          > 2.) submit 'find . -ls' in a small directory and take a look at the
          > output.

          Well may be I am a little bit confused today, but I still don't
          understand. Is your output not aligned? If I see this correctly, then it
          should already be aligned. That's why I told you to give an example of
          what exactly you see and what you want.

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Christian
          --
          Alle reden vom Zeit totschlagen, dabei schlägt die Zeit uns tot.
          -- Alphonse Allias

        • meino.cramer@gmx.de
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
            Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 11:16]:

            > Hi meino.cramer!
            >
            > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
            >
            > > 1.) \tsp aligns columns on word boundaries
            > > 2.) submit 'find . -ls' in a small directory and take a look at the
            > > output.
            >
            > Well may be I am a little bit confused today, but I still don't
            > understand. Is your output not aligned? If I see this correctly, then it
            > should already be aligned. That's why I told you to give an example of
            > what exactly you see and what you want.
            >
            > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            > Christian
            > --
            > Alle reden vom Zeit totschlagen, dabei schlägt die Zeit uns tot.
            > -- Alphonse Allias

            Hi christian.brandt

            No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
            and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
            find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
            with in one buffer) being huige enough.

            137535 1622 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 1658249 Sep 2 2006 ./tmp/hs-1.7z
            137536 1622 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 1658445 Sep 2 2006 ./tmp/hs-2.7z
            137537 1622 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 1658445 Sep 2 2006 ./tmp/hs-3.7z
            14292806 0 drwx------ 2 iceman users 208 Apr 17 2009 ./dta
            23251336 317 -rw------- 1 iceman users 5222169 Feb 14 2009 ./dta/01_Land.ogg-7c3b8c7d-9246-4e24-b25d-f8190b949e28-.dtapart
            22987380 1028 -rw------- 1 iceman users 8294778 Feb 14 2009 ./dta/01_Land.mp3-0c320779-f41a-4be0-9e8f-4d0c033f6018-.dtapart
            8535498 408 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 415372 Oct 18 2007 ./log
            16892555 4 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 265 Aug 4 2008 ./rme
            29695850 0 drwxr-xr-x 4 iceman users 96 May 29 17:08 ./usr
            29695851 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 iceman users 72 May 29 17:08 ./usr/bin
            29697990 4 -rwxr-xr-x 1 iceman users 58 Jan 17 2009 ./usr/bin/tragtor
            29697991 0 drwxr-xr-x 5 iceman users 128 May 29 17:08 ./usr/share
            29698014 1 drwxr-xr-x 2 iceman users 1424 May 29 17:08 ./usr/share/tragtor
            29698126 120 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 119355 Apr 20 2008 ./usr/share/tragtor/nb-format.svg
            29698125 52 -rw-r--r-- 1 iceman users 52205 Feb 7 2008 ./usr/share/tragtor/meta.svg

            Keep hacking!
            mcc

          • Michael Henry
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
              On 11/01/2009 01:51 AM, meino.cramer@... wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
              > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
              > [...]
              >
              > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
              > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
              > (no critosm intended !!!).
              >
              > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
              > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?

              My preferred command-line tool would be... ``find`` :-)

              The ``find`` command has quite a lot of formatting capability
              built in, using the ``-printf`` option. Your invocation above
              with the ``-ls`` option can be written as below, with your own
              chosen field widths such that the columns are wide enough to
              keep thing nicely aligned:

              find / -printf "%-12i %-8k %M %-2n %-16u %-16g %-12s %Cb %Cd %CY %p\n"

              Column widths are chosen by the numbers after the "%"
              characters, and the "-" character means to left-justify the
              field. See the ``find`` manpage for more information, and
              search for ``printf`` to see the many options available.

              One downside to the above-suggested method is that you have to
              choose large enough field widths that your data will always fit
              in the columns. I don't know of a way to have ``find``
              calculate the minimum field width based on the data. If that's
              a requirement, you might need a separate program to format the
              fields.

              Michael Henry

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                Hi meino.cramer!

                On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

                > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
                > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
                > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
                > with in one buffer) being huige enough.

                You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
                this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
                alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
                its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
                nicely.

                regards,
                Christian

              • meino.cramer@gmx.de
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Michael Henry <vim@...> [09-11-01 12:12]:

                  > On 11/01/2009 01:51 AM, meino.cramer@... wrote:
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I use Align from Dr Chip a lot and I like it a lot.
                  > > Currently I want to reformat the output from "find / -ls"
                  > > [...]
                  > >
                  > > Unfortunaltely the list is VERY VERY long and it takes
                  > > a (too) long time to reformat the whole stuff with vim/Align
                  > > (no critosm intended !!!).
                  > >
                  > > Is there any unix/linux commandline tool which can do
                  > > that job in a shorter time since it is written in C?
                  >
                  > My preferred command-line tool would be... ``find`` :-)
                  >
                  > The ``find`` command has quite a lot of formatting capability
                  > built in, using the ``-printf`` option. Your invocation above
                  > with the ``-ls`` option can be written as below, with your own
                  > chosen field widths such that the columns are wide enough to
                  > keep thing nicely aligned:
                  >
                  > find / -printf "%-12i %-8k %M %-2n %-16u %-16g %-12s %Cb %Cd %CY %p\n"
                  >
                  > Column widths are chosen by the numbers after the "%"
                  > characters, and the "-" character means to left-justify the
                  > field. See the ``find`` manpage for more information, and
                  > search for ``printf`` to see the many options available.
                  >
                  > One downside to the above-suggested method is that you have to
                  > choose large enough field widths that your data will always fit
                  > in the columns. I don't know of a way to have ``find``
                  > calculate the minimum field width based on the data. If that's
                  > a requirement, you might need a separate program to format the
                  > fields.
                  >
                  > Michael Henry

                  Hi,

                  the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
                  just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
                  the list.
                  Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.

                  I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
                  a formatter.

                  Thanky for your help anyway...

                  Keep hacking!
                  mcc

                • meino.cramer@gmx.de
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> [09-11-01 12:24]:

                    > Hi meino.cramer!
                    >
                    > On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > No, it is not, since beside other attriibutes the filename, filesize
                    > > and timestamps occupy different amount of space from file to file if
                    > > find is applied to a complete directory tree (too much files to cope
                    > > with in one buffer) being huige enough.
                    >
                    > You can try as - already mentioned - using find -printf. I am not sure,
                    > this works always, cause it seems it is not mentioned in SuSv3. An
                    > alternative would be to pipe the output of find through awk and using
                    > its printf statements, you should be able to get it aligned and formated
                    > nicely.
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Christian

                    hi christian.brandt

                    awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
                    to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
                    is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
                    input twice:
                    First run to determine the correct alignment spaces, second
                    run to apply those -- and this will become more of a hack
                    due to the nature of awks processing the input.
                    But as mentioned I want to 'use' a tool, not to program one.

                    I think, the best will be to hack one in C -- this will run by
                    far faster then the script processing done by awk.

                    Thanks for your help.

                    Keep hacking!
                    mcc

                  • Christian Brabandt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                      Hi meino.cramer!

                      On So, 01 Nov 2009, meino.cramer@... wrote:

                      > awk is processing its input line by line. Its script applies
                      > to one line and with the next line of input the previous one
                      > is forgotten -- or I have to program a script which read the
                      > input twice:

                      A little script, possibly, yes. This shouldn't be that hard.

                      Another possibility, I forgot about is column(1). This should be exactly
                      what you are looking for.

                      regards,
                      Christian
                      --
                      • …the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one.
                      'Do it yourself'. That's it.

                    • bob davis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                        > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
                        > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
                        > the list.
                        > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
                        >
                        > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
                        > a formatter.
                        >
                        > Thanky for your help anyway...
                        >
                        > Keep hacking!
                        > mcc

                        As suggested previously...
                        I just tested this and it seems to work.

                        find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX

                        The less is just for my viewing.

                      • meino.cramer@gmx.de
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2009
                          bob davis <bob@...> [09-11-01 15:24]:

                          > > the main problem with a list of currently 1298170 entries is
                          > > just to know the max. width of eact entry before genrating
                          > > the list.
                          > > Thats why I want to put this job onto my systems shoulders.
                          > >
                          > > I think for that reason 'find' is'nt what I want to use as
                          > > a formatter.
                          > >
                          > > Thanky for your help anyway...
                          > >
                          > > Keep hacking!
                          > > mcc
                          > >
                          > As suggested previously...
                          > I just tested this and it seems to work.
                          >
                          > find . -ls|column -t|less -SiX
                          >
                          > The less is just for my viewing.

                          Hi,

                          YEAH! This is the tool I have searched for. With it I
                          will be able to handle files/texts of that size without
                          waiting half a day (*NO* critism against vim or Align
                          intended!!!).

                          Thanks for your patience and help!

                          Keep hacking!
                          mcc