Align/AlignMaps not aligned with current flow of time ? ;o)

  • meino.cramer@gmx.de
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2009

      I feel a little einsteinish (time is sooo relative... ;)

      When I look here:
      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/#ALIGN
      I find two entries which link to the same file:
      Alignment version 36b
      and
      Alignment Maps version 42d

      But Alignment was last changed 2.Sep.2009 and is -- according to its
      version number older than Alignment Maps, which was last changed
      26. May 2009.

      And both look like as they to link to the same file.

      Seems to be a quantum irregularity, or? ;) 8o)))

      By the way: What is the difference between both?

      And: I *LOVE* these align plugins! Great stuff!

      Keep hacking!
      mcc

      Natural born vimmers unite! :)

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2009
        meino.cramer@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I feel a little einsteinish (time is sooo relative... ;)
        >
        > When I look here:
        > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/#ALIGN
        > I find two entries which link to the same file:
        > Alignment version 36b
        > and
        > Alignment Maps version 42d
        >
        > But Alignment was last changed 2.Sep.2009 and is -- according to its
        > version number older than Alignment Maps, which was last changed
        > 26. May 2009.
        >
        > And both look like as they to link to the same file.
        >
        > Seems to be a quantum irregularity, or? ;) 8o)))
        >
        > By the way: What is the difference between both?
        >
        > And: I *LOVE* these align plugins! Great stuff!

        Thank you!

        There are six files in the Align package; the two to which you refer,
        Align.vim and AlignMaps.vim, are not the same. Align.vim holds the core
        alignment functions, and AlignMaps.vim primarily holds function which
        support the maps. Align.vim can be used without AlignMaps.vim; vice
        versa is not true -- I just happen to be tracking the versions of each
        separately. Another file in the package, cecutil.vim, is version v18d.
        Align.vim and AlignMaps.vim go into the .vim/autoload directory; there
        are also two corresponding .vim/plugin scripts (AlignPlugin.vim,
        AlignMapsPlugin.vim) which hold the always-loaded interface.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • meino.cramer@gmx.de
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2009
          Charles Campbell <Charles.E.Campbell@...> [09-10-29 15:56]:

          > meino.cramer@... wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I feel a little einsteinish (time is sooo relative... ;)
          > >
          > > When I look here:
          > > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/#ALIGN
          > > I find two entries which link to the same file:
          > > Alignment version 36b
          > > and
          > > Alignment Maps version 42d
          > >
          > > But Alignment was last changed 2.Sep.2009 and is -- according to its
          > > version number older than Alignment Maps, which was last changed
          > > 26. May 2009.
          > >
          > > And both look like as they to link to the same file.
          > >
          > > Seems to be a quantum irregularity, or? ;) 8o)))
          > >
          > > By the way: What is the difference between both?
          > >
          > > And: I *LOVE* these align plugins! Great stuff!
          > >

          > Thank you!
          >
          > There are six files in the Align package; the two to which you refer,
          > Align.vim and AlignMaps.vim, are not the same. Align.vim holds the core
          > alignment functions, and AlignMaps.vim primarily holds function which
          > support the maps. Align.vim can be used without AlignMaps.vim; vice
          > versa is not true -- I just happen to be tracking the versions of each
          > separately. Another file in the package, cecutil.vim, is version v18d.
          > Align.vim and AlignMaps.vim go into the .vim/autoload directory; there
          > are also two corresponding .vim/plugin scripts (AlignPlugin.vim,
          > AlignMapsPlugin.vim) which hold the always-loaded interface.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Chip Campbell

          Hi,

          another little thing:
          I downloaded the rainbow vimball, which gives me colored ({}) in c
          and c++ according the description.
          It contains and installs a file named rainbow.vvim.
          The whole stuff works, if one renames rainbow.vvim to rainbow.vim
          and it works for c++ only, if ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/c/rainbow.vim
          gets copied to ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/cpp/rainbow.vim.
          And it does not color []'s...

          But may be I miss something...

          This nice little thing again is very handy for me...I like it! :O)

          Keep hacking!
          mcc

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
            meino.cramer@... wrote:
            > another little thing:
            > I downloaded the rainbow vimball, which gives me colored ({}) in c
            > and c++ according the description.
            > It contains and installs a file named rainbow.vvim.
            > The whole stuff works, if one renames rainbow.vvim to rainbow.vim
            > and it works for c++ only, if ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/c/rainbow.vim
            > gets copied to ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/cpp/rainbow.vim.
            > And it does not color []'s...
            >
            > But may be I miss something...
            >
            > This nice little thing again is very handy for me...I like it! :O)

            I'm not sure why I didn't actually get brackets highlighted -- I'll put
            it on my vim-todo-list .
            By renaming rainbow.vvim to rainbow.vim, you've

            * disabled the :Rainbow (turn on) and :Rainbow! (turn off) commands
            * made it always on

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
              meino.cramer@... wrote:
              > another little thing:
              > I downloaded the rainbow vimball, which gives me colored ({}) in c
              > and c++ according the description.
              > It contains and installs a file named rainbow.vvim.
              > The whole stuff works, if one renames rainbow.vvim to rainbow.vim
              > and it works for c++ only, if ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/c/rainbow.vim
              > gets copied to ${HOME}/.vim/after/syntax/cpp/rainbow.vim.
              > And it does not color []'s...

              Hello!

              I've made some considerable changes to the rainbow plugin;
              the :Rainbow command now supports setting any combination
              of {}[]() for highlighting:
              :Rainbow {
              :Rainbow {[
              etc.

              Note that []s are supported. Meino -- you'll need to remove your
              renamed rainbow.vim for this to work.

              Its available at my website as v2g:
              http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#RAINBOW

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell

            • Chris Sutcliffe
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
                > I've made some  considerable changes to the rainbow plugin;
                > the :Rainbow command now supports setting any combination
                > of {}[]() for highlighting:
                >    :Rainbow {
                >    :Rainbow {[
                >    etc.
                >
                > Note that []s are supported.  Meino -- you'll need to remove your
                > renamed rainbow.vim for this to work.
                >
                > Its available at my website as v2g:
                >    http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#RAINBOW

                It seems Rainbow doesn't like spaces in the path to rainbow.vim. When I type:

                :Rainbow

                I get:

                Error detected while processing function Rainbow#Rainbow:
                line 11:
                E172: Only one file name allowed: so /cygdrive/c/Documents and
                Settings/ironhead/vimfiles/after/syntax/c/rainbow.vvim

                Chris

                --
                Chris Sutcliffe
                http://emergedesktop.org

              • Charles Campbell
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
                  Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
                  >> I've made some considerable changes to the rainbow plugin;
                  >> the :Rainbow command now supports setting any combination
                  >> of {}[]() for highlighting:
                  >> :Rainbow {
                  >> :Rainbow {[
                  >> etc.
                  >>
                  >> Note that []s are supported. Meino -- you'll need to remove your
                  >> renamed rainbow.vim for this to work.
                  >>
                  >> Its available at my website as v2g:
                  >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#RAINBOW
                  >>

                  > It seems Rainbow doesn't like spaces in the path to rainbow.vim. When I type:
                  >
                  > :Rainbow
                  >
                  > I get:
                  >
                  > Error detected while processing function Rainbow#Rainbow:
                  > line 11:
                  > E172: Only one file name allowed: so /cygdrive/c/Documents and
                  > Settings/ironhead/vimfiles/after/syntax/c/rainbow.vvim

                  OK, v2h is now out -- its now using fnameescape() to handle those spaces
                  that Windows loves.

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell

                • Gregory Margo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 18, 2009
                    On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 09:13:31AM -0500, Charles Campbell wrote:
                    > >> Its available at my website as v2g:
                    > >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#RAINBOW

                    Is there documentation for Rainbow.vba (v2m)?
                    The rainbow.vvim (why vvim?) mentions doc/Rainbow.txt but it's not in
                    the .vba file.

                    thanks,
                    gm

                    Gregory H. Margo
                    gmargo at yahoo/com, gmail/com, pacbell/net; greg at margofamily/org

                  • Charles Campbell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 18, 2009
                      Gregory Margo wrote:

                      > Is there documentation for Rainbow.vba (v2m)?
                      > The rainbow.vvim (why vvim?) mentions doc/Rainbow.txt but it's not in
                      > the .vba file.

                      Hmm, you're right -- looks like doc/Rainbow.txt mistakenly got left
                      off. I've put v2n on my website; the help file for it is now there.

                      There are four files:

                      plugin/RainbowPlugin.vim
                      autoload/Rainbow.vim
                      after/syntax/c/rainbow.vvim
                      doc/Rainbow.txt

                      The RainbowPlugin.vim contains the always-loaded script; the essential
                      part of it is a one liner which introduces the Rainbow command.

                      The autoload/Rainbow.vim contains a small function which
                      enables/disables rainbow highlighting.

                      The extra highlighting commands are contained in
                      after/syntax/c/rainbow.vvim. Its got the "vvim" suffix to prevent it
                      from being "always-loaded"; instead, its only sourced on demand (via the
                      :Rainbow command). It could've been put anywhere, but as it is syntax
                      that is loaded after the main c/c++ highlighting, that seemed a logical
                      place to put it. As Meino found out, by renaming it to rainbow.vim, it
                      is always loaded (thereby effectively disabling the :Rainbow command).
                      I personally only use the rainbow highlighting occasionally, finding it
                      somewhat distracting when I'm not actively in need of seeing which
                      braces go with which braces.

                      Regards,
                      Chip Campbell