Rather newbie question

  • Gabor Urban
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2009
      Hi guys,

      I have written an own vim file which contains some function. Let
      suppose, it is called 'myfuncs.vim'. How can I execute function
      "PrtHeading" from the file. Should I load it before, and how.

      Many thanks in advance,

      --
      Linux: Choice of a GNU Generation

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2009
        On 2009-10-26, Gabor Urban wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I have written an own vim file which contains some function. Let
        > suppose, it is called 'myfuncs.vim'. How can I execute function
        > "PrtHeading" from the file. Should I load it before, and how.

        Assuming that you want to load 'myfuncs.vim' every time you run vim,
        the standard way to do this is to put that file in your
        ~/.vim/plugin directory on Unix, or your ~/vimfiles/plugin directory
        on Windows. It will be loaded automatically every time you start
        vim.

        If you've just written or changed that file and you want to load it
        without restarting vim, use the :source command:

        :so myfuncs.vim

        or, if myfuncs.vim isn't in the current working directory,

        :so path/to/myfuncs.vim

        The function has to be defined before you can execute it. If the
        function is defined in that file, sourcing that file is sufficient
        to define the function. Then you can execute it with

        :call PrtHeading()

        HTH,
        Gary

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2009
          On 26/10/09 18:02, Gary Johnson wrote:

          > On 2009-10-26, Gabor Urban wrote:
          >> Hi guys,
          >>
          >> I have written an own vim file which contains some function. Let
          >> suppose, it is called 'myfuncs.vim'. How can I execute function
          >> "PrtHeading" from the file. Should I load it before, and how.
          >
          > Assuming that you want to load 'myfuncs.vim' every time you run vim,
          > the standard way to do this is to put that file in your
          > ~/.vim/plugin directory on Unix, or your ~/vimfiles/plugin directory
          > on Windows. It will be loaded automatically every time you start
          > vim.
          >
          > If you've just written or changed that file and you want to load it
          > without restarting vim, use the :source command:
          >
          > :so myfuncs.vim
          >
          > or, if myfuncs.vim isn't in the current working directory,
          >
          > :so path/to/myfuncs.vim
          >
          > The function has to be defined before you can execute it. If the
          > function is defined in that file, sourcing that file is sufficient
          > to define the function. Then you can execute it with
          >
          > :call PrtHeading()
          >
          > HTH,
          > Gary

          An alternative (in Vim 7) is to load the file on-demand. For this, you
          put it in ~/vimfiles/autoload (on Windows) or ~/.vim/autoload (on Unix)
          and invoke its functions as follows:

          To execute function myfuncs#PrtHeading() with no parameters from
          autoload/myfuncs.vim, use

          :call myfuncs#PrtHeading()

          The ":function" statement defining the function must contain the name of
          the script (without the .vim extension), see ":help autoload".

          If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
          -- Ronald Reagan