Re: Where do functions go?

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:

      > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
      >
      >>> hmm.. esperantista?
      >>
      >> Trying to ;)
      >
      > Interesting in this day and age, with the English language having become
      > the de facto "lingua franca". :-)
      [...]

      English is a terribly difficult language, spoken one way and written
      another, fraught with idiotisms of all kinds, morphological
      irregularities, etc. It is one of the few languages that I speak
      fluently, but it isn't my mother language and it takes me constant
      practice to keep it up; and even so, I would never feel on the level
      arguing some difficult point with someone from Cambridge (England) or
      Cambridge (Massachusetts).

      Ever tried to understand a Japanese speaking English? The few times it
      has happened to me, I had all the trouble in the world making sense of
      what was being said.

      Esperanto doesn't suffer from all these problems: its spelling is
      phonetic, its grammar suffers no exceptions, and its system of affixes
      and of word-composition allows saying the same things with a much
      smaller "dictionary memory" effort. In addition, its phonology (similar
      to that of Italian, but with the stress always on the penultimate
      syllable, except of course for monosyllables) makes it a language easy
      to pronounce, and even though the Japanese have a hard time
      distinguishing the l and r sounds from each other, I usually have no
      trouble at all making sense of what they say when they speak Esperanto.

      And of course, since the few native speakers of Esperanto aren't the
      bearers of the language norm, the fact that it isn't my mother language
      is no handicap at all.

      "I'd love to go out with you, but I'm doing door-to-door collecting for
      static cling."

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:

        > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
        [...]
        >> My mailer is GMail directly.
        >
        > Thought it might be - didn't see any "User-agent" mentioned in your
        > message headers - and the reason I asked is that I have seen quite a few
        > people on different mailing lists who use gmail as an excuse to format
        > their posts in a way that doesn't abide by the lists' policies. So it
        > looks like you can also abuse lowly gmail.
        [...]

        Being on a @... account is no excuse for improper mail formatting.
        I get my mail from Gmail via POP, and from my POV it behaves just like
        any other mail server. People who pretend that they "cannot" bottom-post
        because they are on @... are just ignorant, lazy -- or both.

        Berst regards,
        147. You finally give up smoking...because it made the monitor dirty.

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
          [...]
          > So what if I found your signature more interesting than your post and
          > wanted to comment on it..?? ;-)
          [...]

          Easy: paste it from the Message Read window or the Preview Pane.

          And sorry for replying by three different messages to three different
          parts of this one, but I kept shuttling between it and Raúl's reply.

          "I played lead guitar in a band called The Federal Duck, which is the
          kind of name that was popular in the '60s as a result of controlled
          substances being in widespread use. Back then, there were no
          restrictions, in terms of talent, on who could make an album, so we
          made one, and it sounds like a group of people who have been given
          powerful but unfamiliar instruments as a therapy for a degenerative
          nerve disease."
          -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"