Re: Where do functions go?

  • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
      Saluton Tony :)

      Tony Mechelynck <a...@...> skribis:
      > On 15/09/09 10:11, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
      >> color signatures differently if they detect the magic "-- " at the
      >> start of a line.
      >
      > Not "at the start" but "as the only contents" of a line. If there is
      > something on the same line after the dash-dash-space it isn't a sig
      > delimiter anymore.

      Yes, you're right. With "at the start of a line" I meant "not anywhere
      else on the line", but I see I didn't explain myself clear O:)

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
        On 15/09/09 17:34, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
        [...]
        > BTW, has anyone ever had vim crash on them? ;-)
        [...]

        There are crash cases documented in the vim_dev group, often with a
        proposed patch, which Bram may then either accept or improve. I think
        that the one-line summaries in the patches' README (
        http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README , and replace 7.2 by
        something else for earlier versions, or by nothing at all for still
        earlier versions) will show you which patches were published to fix
        crash cases.

        Personally I've had X-related crashes at startup, which I think were due
        to an error not in Vim but in the GTK2 libraries; AFAIK that bug has
        since been fixed upstream.

        Anthony's Law of Force:
        Don't force it; get a larger hammer.

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
          On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:

          > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
          >
          >>> hmm.. esperantista?
          >>
          >> Trying to ;)
          >
          > Interesting in this day and age, with the English language having become
          > the de facto "lingua franca". :-)
          [...]

          English is a terribly difficult language, spoken one way and written
          another, fraught with idiotisms of all kinds, morphological
          irregularities, etc. It is one of the few languages that I speak
          fluently, but it isn't my mother language and it takes me constant
          practice to keep it up; and even so, I would never feel on the level
          arguing some difficult point with someone from Cambridge (England) or
          Cambridge (Massachusetts).

          Ever tried to understand a Japanese speaking English? The few times it
          has happened to me, I had all the trouble in the world making sense of
          what was being said.

          Esperanto doesn't suffer from all these problems: its spelling is
          phonetic, its grammar suffers no exceptions, and its system of affixes
          and of word-composition allows saying the same things with a much
          smaller "dictionary memory" effort. In addition, its phonology (similar
          to that of Italian, but with the stress always on the penultimate
          syllable, except of course for monosyllables) makes it a language easy
          to pronounce, and even though the Japanese have a hard time
          distinguishing the l and r sounds from each other, I usually have no
          trouble at all making sense of what they say when they speak Esperanto.

          And of course, since the few native speakers of Esperanto aren't the
          bearers of the language norm, the fact that it isn't my mother language
          is no handicap at all.

          "I'd love to go out with you, but I'm doing door-to-door collecting for
          static cling."

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
            On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:

            > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
            [...]
            >> My mailer is GMail directly.
            >
            > Thought it might be - didn't see any "User-agent" mentioned in your
            > message headers - and the reason I asked is that I have seen quite a few
            > people on different mailing lists who use gmail as an excuse to format
            > their posts in a way that doesn't abide by the lists' policies. So it
            > looks like you can also abuse lowly gmail.
            [...]

            Being on a @... account is no excuse for improper mail formatting.
            I get my mail from Gmail via POP, and from my POV it behaves just like
            any other mail server. People who pretend that they "cannot" bottom-post
            because they are on @... are just ignorant, lazy -- or both.

            Berst regards,
            147. You finally give up smoking...because it made the monitor dirty.

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2009
              On 15/09/09 17:32, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
              [...]
              > So what if I found your signature more interesting than your post and
              > wanted to comment on it..?? ;-)
              [...]

              Easy: paste it from the Message Read window or the Preview Pane.

              And sorry for replying by three different messages to three different
              parts of this one, but I kept shuttling between it and Raúl's reply.

              "I played lead guitar in a band called The Federal Duck, which is the
              kind of name that was popular in the '60s as a result of controlled
              substances being in widespread use. Back then, there were no
              restrictions, in terms of talent, on who could make an album, so we
              made one, and it sounds like a group of people who have been given
              powerful but unfamiliar instruments as a therapy for a degenerative
              nerve disease."
              -- Dave Barry, "The Snake"