Re: improving the :join command

  • bill lam
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 14, 2009
      On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > Hi Tony!
      >
      > On Mi, 09 Sep 2009, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >

      > > tens of seconds); if you want to join a gigabazillion lines into
      > > one, Vim can do it -- but expect it to take hours or even days
      > > rather than seconds, and at, oh, let's say 99.5% CPU time. It's not
      > > even a hang -- it's just that you gave it an enormous task to which
      > > it is ill-suited, and it's uncompainingly and patiently grinding at
      > > it; when it's finished, it will wait for the next command -- if by
      > > then you haven't lost patience and interruped it or killed it. To
      >
      > Tony, please read the documentation provided with the plugin or at the
      > plugin page and try out the test case I have been given. And then tell
      > me again, that this does not sound like a bug.
      >
      > Just the fact, that it is possible to improve the join command using vim
      > scripting language gives strong evidence, that it is a bug indeed.

      IMO it is not a bug but that it does not scale up. Just like compute
      1+1+1+1 as ((1+1)+1)+1
      that each operation (+) is independent of other (+) so that it needs a
      quadratic time to do the calculation. It would be a trade off between
      time and space, IMO to allocate 50% more space than what is needed
      so that some of these (:join) can be done in-place should improve
      performance. (untest)

      --
      regards,
      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24