Re: NoDeadKeys under WinXP with gvim

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2009
      On 09/09/09 20:38, meino.cramer@... wrote:
      > Linda W<vim@...> [09-09-09 18:35]:
      >> meino.cramer@... wrote:
      >>> Hi,
      >>> at work I am using gvim on a WinXP PC while I am using
      >>> vim (console) at home on my Linux Box.
      >>> I am interested in getting gvim act at work like vim at home.
      >>> One of the most annoying things are the dead keys on Windows.
      >>> Each regexp, which includes ^ comes out in spain, german, french
      >>> or what else language uses accents...sigh.
      >>> Is there any way to "kill" the dead keys to become "no dead keys"
      >> ====
      >> In the control panel there is a regional and language options.
      >> There you setup what type of keyboard(s) you want to use as
      >> primary and any others you want to be available. I have US no accents
      >> as primary, but if I press CTL+SHIFT by itself, it's a toggle to the
      >> International keyboard, OR I can press left-alt+Shift and a number to
      >> go to a specific keyboard (0=US, 1=International)...
      >> It's the international keyboard that has the deadkeys -- and,
      >> as I think someone mentioned, whether or not deadkeys are activated
      >> may be on an application-by-application basis.
      >> So you might accidently be in the wrong keyboard mode, or someone set your
      >> default keyboard up to be an international one.
      >> You should be able to change it for yourself without administrator
      >> rights -- or for the login screen (& default) if you are admin. IF you never
      >> use dead keys just delete the alternate keyboard and it won't turn on.
      >> You can always use MS's charmap in a pinch, or download the free util(s)
      >> BABELMAP and BABELPAD... (which sorta is the reason I logged onto this
      >> group today... :-))...
      >> Hope that helps..
      >> -linda
      > Hi Linda,
      > thanks for your reply ! :)
      > Currently I am at my linux box at home and have no possibility
      > to use the new tricks. When I am back at my working place (next week
      > on Monday I hope to find time for that, time is in a hurry
      > currently...) I will be happy to kill all dead keys to become
      > no-dead-key (or should I write "undead keys"? "zombie keys"? "Keys of
      > the Undead"? ;) )
      > One question: What means "International keyboard"? Qwertz? Qwerty?
      > What about the german umlauts? sz?
      > Thanks again in advance for your help, have a nice evening!
      > mcc

      IIUC, "International keyboard" means you can change between various
      "national" layouts without rebooting the system, just via a widget
      somewhere at the bottom of your desktop, or by hitting some particular
      combination of keys. So you can go from qwerty to qwertz to azerty to
      Dvorak to whatever, including various "national" flavours of each of
      them. Any "German" layout would _of course_ allow umlauts and eszett,
      but whether via a "dead-umlaut" key or by dedicating three keys to äÄ öÖ
      and üÜ I'm not sure.

      129. You cancel your newspaper subscription.