Re: Completing phrases

  • kellvyn@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6 8:28 PM
      Tim Chase wrote (09/06/09 21:03):
      > I'm not sure what you changed 'complete' to, but by default, it
      > should be ".,w,b,u,t,i" (it takes flags, not a file-name).

      Sorry; wasn't explicit enough when I first described what I did. I read
      that 'complete' allows the k{dict} flag. From options.txt:

      k{dict} scan the file {dict}. Several "k" flags can be given, patterns
      are valid too. For example:
      :set cpt=k/usr/dict/*,k~/spanish

      So I tried setting 'complete' to k/home/music/data/flactags.txt, where
      flactags.txt is the file containing

      COMPOSER=Ludwig van Beethoven

      According to the documention, 'complete' is used for whole line
      completion. I figured that meant that when I used <C-X><C-L>,
      flactags.txt would be scanned for whole lines to complete. And so I
      figured that

      COMPOSER=L<C-X><C-L>

      would match the corresponding line in flactags.txt

      > With these default options, if I have such a "cheat" buffer open
      > (containing lines such as you
      >
      > COMPOSER=Ludwig van Beethoven
      > COMPOSER=Johann Strauss
      > COMPOSER=Johann Sebastian Bach
      >
      > in it), using <c-x><c-L> successfully suggests the line in question.

      Very nifty. I hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks!

      > Alternatively, you could create a bunch of ":iab" expansions

      That's a good idea, but the situation I've described above is actually a
      simplification of the functionality I hope to have in place. I was
      hoping to have completion work for composers, ensembles, conductors,
      etc. So it would get unworkable pretty fast to come up with and
      remember the abbreviations for all the various musicians.