Re: Use terminal colors in GUI Vim?

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
      Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
      > I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
      > xterm's default colors.
      >
      > Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
      > copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
      > .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
      > definitions by yours.
      >
      > :%s/#iiiiii/#jjjjjj/g (e.g.)
      >
      > Would be nice if someone could suggest an automated solution, though.

      The hicolors plugin can help with this:

      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#HICOLORS
      (cutting edge)
      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081 (stable)

      I used simple.vimrc:
      set nocp
      syn on
      filetype plugin on

      and the following:

      vim -u simple.vimrc
      :he hicolors
      (place cursor atop a color) <cr>
      (place cursor atop "WriteColorscheme") <cr>
      (pick a name for the colorscheme)

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Nathan Neff wrote:

        > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
        >> I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
        >> xterm's default colors.
        >>
        >> Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
        >> copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
        >> .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
        >> definitions by yours.
        >
        > Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.
        >
        > I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
        > use your colorscheme :-)

        Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
        port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
        change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
        terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
        Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
        does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
        archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
        in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

        ~Matt

        hi clear
        if exists("syntax_on")
        syntax reset
        endif

        let g:colors_name = 'sixteen'

        " Change these to match your terminal!

        let s:Black = '#000000'
        let s:DarkBlue = '#AF0000'
        let s:DarkGreen = '#00AF00'
        let s:DarkCyan = '#AFAF00'
        let s:DarkRed = '#00FF00'
        let s:DarkMagenta = '#AF00AF'
        let s:Brown = '#00AFAF'
        let s:Grey = '#9A9A9A'
        let s:DarkGrey = '#5F5F5F'
        let s:Blue = '#D70000'
        let s:Green = '#00D700'
        let s:Cyan = '#D7D700'
        let s:Red = '#00FF00'
        let s:Magenta = '#D700D7'
        let s:Yellow = '#00D7D7'
        let s:White = '#D7D7D7'

        " Both

        exe 'hi ErrorMsg term=standout ctermbg=DarkRed guibg=' . s:DarkRed . '
        ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White
        exe 'hi IncSearch term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
        exe 'hi ModeMsg term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
        exe 'hi NonText term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
        exe 'hi StatusLine term=reverse,bold cterm=reverse,bold gui=reverse,bold'
        exe 'hi StatusLineNC term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
        exe 'hi VertSplit term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
        exe 'hi VisualNOS term=underline,bold cterm=underline,bold gui=underline,bold'
        exe 'hi DiffText term=reverse cterm=bold gui=bold ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
        exe 'hi PmenuThumb cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
        exe 'hi PmenuSbar ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
        exe 'hi TabLineSel term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
        exe 'hi TabLineFill term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
        exe 'hi Cursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'
        exe 'hi lCursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'

        if &bg == 'light'
        exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Brown guifg=' . s:Brown
        exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
        exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
        exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
        ctermfg=NONE guifg=NONE'
        exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
        exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
        exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
        exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=DarkMagenta guifg=' . s:DarkMagenta
        exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=DarkRed guifg=' . s:DarkRed
        exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
        ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
        exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
        ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
        ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
        ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
        exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
        exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
        ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
        ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black . ' ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
        exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
        exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
        exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
        else
        exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Yellow guifg=' . s:Yellow
        exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
        exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
        exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
        ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
        exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
        exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
        exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
        exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
        exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=Magenta guifg=' . s:Magenta
        exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=Red guifg=' . s:Red
        exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
        ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
        exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
        . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
        s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
        s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
        exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
        exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=DarkBlue guibg=' . s:DarkBlue
        exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=DarkMagenta guibg=' . s:DarkMagenta
        exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
        ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
        exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
        ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White . ' ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
        s:DarkGrey
        exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
        exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
        exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
        exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
        endif

      • Patrick Gen-Paul
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
          Matt Wozniski wrote:

          > Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
          > port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
          > change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
          > terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
          > Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
          > does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
          > archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
          > in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

          [..]

          Thanks for the feedback.

          Do not deride such efforts - and yours in particular. Stuff like that is
          quite valuable in terms of introducing low-level vim users like myself
          to vim scripting / customization.

          An obvious limitation is that nobody is going to want to type in their
          rrggbb's - even 16 of them.. And some folks have 256 colors terminals.

          I plan to take a closer look at your port, tomorrow I hope.

          :-)

          Gen-Paul.