Re: expand variable to command line

  • Aarto Matti
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2009
      Sorry, maybe I should open a new topic, but it's relevant to this one also.

      How to do the same but without mapping to keyboard key. For instance I call my custom function EditVim() and it would drop me to command which already contains ":e /usr/share/vim".

      In other word I can simulate pressing ":".

      --
      Aarto

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2009
        On 01/09/09 15:54, Aarto Matti wrote:
        > Sorry, maybe I should open a new topic, but it's relevant to this one also.
        >
        > How to do the same but without mapping to keyboard key. For instance I
        > call my custom function EditVim() and it would drop me to command which
        > already contains ":e /usr/share/vim".
        >
        > In other word I can simulate pressing ":".
        >
        > --
        > Aarto

        Maybe you want to have a look at

        :help :browse
        :help 'browsedir'
        :help browsefilter
        :help :execute
        :help input()
        etc.

        DeVries's Dilemma:
        If you hit two keys on the typewriter, the one you don't want
        hits the paper.

      • Aarto Matti
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009
          On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          Maybe you want to have a look at

                 :help :browse
                 :help 'browsedir'
                 :help browsefilter
                 :help :execute
                 :help input()
          etc.

          Hello,

          browse, browsedir and  browsefilter - no GUI please.
          execute - doesn't let me to complete the command, it just executes it as is.
          input - it doesn't work with completion, e.g. file/dir names.

          The only thing I missing now is to know how to start command line mode from vim function.

          :nnoremap <f12> :e <c-r>=$VIM
          above does almost what I want (note no <CR> at the end), but how to do it without mapping to a key.

          Aarto