Vim Tips wiki

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2009
      The September edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
      http://vim.wikia.com/

      The featured tip concerns the dreaded Caps Lock key and offers
      an alternative for typing CAPS in insert mode, while *not*
      typing JJJUU after switching back to normal mode.

      Thanks to those who have helped by saying "Remove" at:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User:JohnBeckett/Rich_text_editor

      Anyone with a Wikia logon, please add your name to the above.

      I am hoping to boost the wiki's Google rank with some changes:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User:JohnBeckett/Search_engine_optimization

      Any SEO ideas are welcome.

      John

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 7, 2009
        The October edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

        The featured tip has a command line abbreviation using
        expand('%:p:h').

        Wikia has a new "My Home" page for each logged-on user. It
        seems to be a "friendly" version of recent changes, designed
        to encourage participation on less techo wikis. The point of
        mentioning this is that if you are logged on, visiting
        http://vim.wikia.com/

        will go to your "My Home" (if not logged on, you see the main
        page, which has the URL shown at the top).

        The rich text editor has been removed from the wiki, so we won't
        have to see anything but beautiful plain text when editing.

        Please help to develop the new JavaFX indent plugin:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/JavaFX_indent_plugin

        John

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 3, 2009
          The November edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

          The featured tip is a reworked hex-decimal conversion tip,
          with handy :Dec2hex and :Hex2dec commands.

          JavaFX users: please try the indent plugin
          (we want help checking/developing this):

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 6, 2009
            On 08/10/09 06:27, John Beckett wrote:

            > The October edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
            >
            > The featured tip has a command line abbreviation using
            > expand('%:p:h').
            >
            > Wikia has a new "My Home" page for each logged-on user. It
            > seems to be a "friendly" version of recent changes, designed
            > to encourage participation on less techo wikis. The point of
            > mentioning this is that if you are logged on, visiting
            > http://vim.wikia.com/
            >
            > will go to your "My Home" (if not logged on, you see the main
            > page, which has the URL shown at the top).

            ...but that "My Home" page is only available if you haven't selected
            another "wiki skin" than the default "Monaco": e.g. when using the
            Monobook skin, going to http:/vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:MyHome tells
            you this:

            --- start quote ---
            My Home

            The My Home feature is only available if you're using the Monaco skin.
            If you'd like to see My Home, please visit your Preferences to change
            your skin.
            --- end quote ---

            With Monobook, http://vim.wikia.com/ redirects you to the "Vim Tips
            Wiki" home page ven when logged-in.

            > The rich text editor has been removed from the wiki, so we won't
            > have to see anything but beautiful plain text when editing.
            >
            > Please help to develop the new JavaFX indent plugin:
            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/JavaFX_indent_plugin
            >
            > John

            178. You look for an icon to double-click to open your bedroom window.

          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 2, 2009
              The December edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

              The featured tip shows how to remap J to join comment lines,
              and has some useful tutorial tips for those getting familiar
              with Vim scripting.

              JavaFX users: please try the indent plugin
              (which is still being developed):
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/JavaFX_indent_plugin

              We normally do NOT use the talk page for tips (any thoughts
              should be added to the "Comments" section at the bottom of each
              tip). However, for the JavaFX tip above, we are using the talk
              page, so please add your comments there.

              John

            • Isaac
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                The December edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                I can't open the link in China.

                --
                Regards, Isaac. (李霆钧)
                > http://xbeta.info/tag/gvim [善用佳软:一起来学Vim吧]
                > http://tinyurl.com/ykkzskh [便民服务:精品自由软件下载]
                > “中国的教育就是为了培养硬盘的,从来不培养cpu.”  -someone says

              • Isaac
                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                  2009/12/5 Isaac <tingjun.li@gmail.com>
                  On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                  The December edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                  I can't open the link in China.

                  Is it possible to make the tips as a bunch for downloading? thanks

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Isaac wrote:
                    >> The December edition of the Vim Tips home page
                    >> is now available:
                    >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
                    >
                    > I can't open the link in China.
                    > Is it possible to make the tips as a bunch for downloading?

                    Unfortunately I believe you are correct that wikia.com is
                    blocked from China, although I hear that wikipedia.org has been
                    unblocked and that attempts to unblock wikia.com are being made.

                    No, there is no easy way to download all tips. If you had
                    access, you could read the hard ways here (one of the methods is
                    easy if you have a Linux system with MediaWiki installed):
                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal

                    Sorry, but there's not much we can do. The tips are in wikitext,
                    and you need a system with MediaWiki for display.

                    John

                  • bill lam
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2009
                      On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Isaac wrote:
                      > On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > The December edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                      > > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
                      > >

                      > I can't open the link in China.

                      Did you try to bypass using a public proxy?

                      --
                      regards,
                      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

                    • Isaac
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 5, 2009
                        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 10:52 AM, bill lam <cbill.lam@...> wrote:
                        Did you try to bypass using a public proxy?

                        yes, but the speed is not very pleasant.

                        On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:08 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
                        Isaac wrote:
                        >> The December edition of the Vim Tips home page
                        >> is now available:
                        >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
                        >
                        > I can't open the link in China.
                        > Is it possible to make the tips as a bunch for downloading?

                        Unfortunately I believe you are correct that wikia.com is
                        blocked from China, although I hear that wikipedia.org has been
                        unblocked and that attempts to unblock wikia.com are being made.

                        I hope so!

                        No, there is no easy way to download all tips. If you had
                        access, you could read the hard ways here (one of the methods is
                        easy if you have a Linux system with MediaWiki installed):
                        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal

                         mediawiki... I will try it under windows, thanks.

                        Sorry, but there's not much we can do. The tips are in wikitext,
                        and you need a system with MediaWiki for display.

                        John

                        You've already done a great job.

                        thanks for replying

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 5, 2009
                          On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:08 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

                          No, there is no easy way to download all tips. If you had
                          access, you could read the hard ways here (one of the methods is
                          easy if you have a Linux system with MediaWiki installed):
                          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal

                           mediawiki... I will try it under windows, thanks.

                          Sorry, but there's not much we can do. The tips are in wikitext,
                          and you need a system with MediaWiki for display.

                          John

                          Downloading tips

                          There is no good way to download all tips because:

                          • Any download will become out of date when tips are improved on the wiki.
                          • Tips are stored as "wikitext" which can be downloaded but is not intended for reading.
                          • There is no simple procedure to obtain files with a clean html version of each tip.
                          • Links in downloaded files will not work.

                          A tool like wget can be used to download the wikitext for individual tips. For example, the following creates file 1.wik containing the wikitext for The super star:

                          wget -O 1.wik "http://vim.wikia.com/index.php?action=raw&title=The_super_star"

                          Wikia periodically creates database dumps with a snapshot of the entire Vim Tips wiki in xml format. Each dump contains all tips, templates, user pages, talk pages, and more. Image files and deleted pages are not included. Two dumps (gz compressed files) are available:

                          • pages_current.xml.gz – The most-recent revision of each page.
                          • pages_full.xml.gz – All revisions of each page.

                          Links to download each file are at the bottom of Special:Statistics. In November 2009, the current dump is under 2MB (expands to 7MB), and the full dump is 6MB (expands to 67MB). If MediaWiki is installed (on Linux), either dump can be imported so you have a local web server that displays the html for all Vim tips, with working links.

                          => I'll try this, thanks for the link,  you've already done a great job!

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Isaac wrote:
                            >> The December edition of the Vim Tips home page
                            >> is now available:
                            >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
                            >
                            > I can't open the link in China.
                            > Is it possible to make the tips as a bunch for downloading?

                            Unfortunately I believe you are correct that wikia.com is
                            blocked from China, although I hear that wikipedia.org has been
                            unblocked and that attempts to unblock wikia.com are being made.

                            No, there is no easy way to download all tips. If you had
                            access, you could read the hard ways here (one of the methods is
                            easy if you have a Linux system with MediaWiki installed):
                            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki:Community_Portal

                            Thanks to wei wei, now we have mirror site for Vim_Tips_Wiki here :)
                            http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                            --
                            Regards, Isaac. (李霆钧)

                            > 路人甲: "中国的教育就是为了培养硬盘的, 从来不培养cpu."
                            > 路人乙: "如果说智慧是电脑CPU, 但若没有硬盘的知识数据, CPU只能空转, 什么也做不了"
                            > 路人丙: "废话少说, 从消灭你自己在用的盗版软件做起吧"
                            > 路人丁: "我可以帮你, 请点击这里 http://tinyurl.com/ykkzskh"

                            (话外音)
                            > 善用佳软: "消灭了盗版, 有兴趣再一起来学学Vim吧 http://xbeta.info/tag/gvim"
                            > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki
                            > http://broom9.com/Vim_Tips_Wiki (国内镜像)

                          • John Beckett
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 6, 2010
                              The January edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                              The featured tip is a tutorial on using xxd to view or edit
                              binary files, including the clever:
                              :r !xxd -i sample.bin

                              This is my 24th edition of the home page and its getting harder
                              to find "did you know" items because many tips are still
                              somewhat broken, and/or have no useful explanation. I'm thinking
                              of recycling the items in the future (i.e. use Feb 2008 next
                              month) partly to provide a rest, but also so I have more time to
                              actually fix some of the old junk.

                              John
                            • Ben Fritz
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 7, 2010
                                On Jan 6, 8:04 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
                                > This is my 24th edition of the home page and its getting harder
                                > to find "did you know" items because many tips are still
                                > somewhat broken, and/or have no useful explanation. I'm thinking
                                > of recycling the items in the future (i.e. use Feb 2008 next
                                > month)

                                I was wondering how long that would take! Would it be too much work to
                                put all "did you know" items in a list, and choose from the list at
                                random? We certainly don't need all new ones every month, but I don't
                                see why that means we need to have a complete re-run of a previous
                                month either.
                              • Ben
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 8, 2010
                                  On Jan 7, 11:38 am, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
                                  > We certainly don't need all new ones every month, but I don't
                                  > see why that means we need to have a complete re-run of a previous
                                  > month either.

                                  Some of us aren't Vim 'old timers' so, even if there were re-runs we
                                  might pick up something new. And from what I gathered the OP to be
                                  saying was they intend on fixing up some of the older tips. It's
                                  always good to go back and sort out cruft. Apologies if my two pennies
                                  aren't welcomed. Take 'em or leave 'em as you like.
                                • Ben
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 8, 2010

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 5, 2010
                                      The February edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                                      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                                      The featured tip is for Windows users. It shows how to run
                                      external programs asynchronously without "Hit any key", and
                                      includes a procedure to asynchronously run a program like grep,
                                      with Vim being notified to load the results when finished.

                                      Please consider the "for Windows users" as a challenge:
                                      edit the wiki to add information for other systems, or
                                      reply here with ideas.

                                      After doing 24 months of the "did you know" items, I have
                                      started recycling old entries, with some updating.

                                      Mailing list news (vim_use): Something must have hit the
                                      spammers (global financial crisis!?) because the moderators are
                                      seeing a drastic reduction in the number of spam attempts.

                                      John

                                    • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 6, 2010
                                        Saluton John :)

                                        John Beckett <j...@...> skribis:
                                        > Mailing list news (vim_use): Something must have hit the spammers
                                        > (global financial crisis!?) because the moderators are seeing a
                                        > drastic reduction in the number of spam attempts.

                                        Yes, that's right. I think that spam dropped a lot since this year
                                        start, more or less, although if I remember correctly the number of spam
                                        attempts have been going down steadily since summer.

                                      • John Beckett
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 3, 2010
                                          The March edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                                          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                                          The featured tip shows how to search within a limited scope in
                                          languages like C that use {...}. For example, you can press a
                                          key to search for all occurrences of the identifier under the
                                          cursor, but only within the current function.

                                          On February 10, Bram added a link to the wiki on each script
                                          page at vim.org/scripts. Since then, 26 "script comments" pages
                                          have been created at the wiki.

                                          A (not terribly helpful) list is here:
                                          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Special:AllPages/Script:

                                          John

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 3, 2010
                                            On 06/02/10 12:27, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
                                            > Saluton John :)
                                            >
                                            > John Beckett<j...@...> skribis:
                                            >> Mailing list news (vim_use): Something must have hit the spammers
                                            >> (global financial crisis!?) because the moderators are seeing a
                                            >> drastic reduction in the number of spam attempts.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, that's right. I think that spam dropped a lot since this year
                                            > start, more or less, although if I remember correctly the number of spam
                                            > attempts have been going down steadily since summer.

                                            (I'm only seeing this now, which shows how far behind I am in reading mail.)

                                            Maybe they had indeed put whatever money they had in get-rich-quick
                                            schemes, like the ones they were proposing to Internet users, and Lehman
                                            Bothers et al. to "real" people, and suddenly found themselves without a
                                            single cent, or maybe the few that they still "owned" were under lock
                                            and key at the Kaupþing in Reykjavik. So: sell the 'puter and the
                                            trailer for scrap prices and go sleep in railway stations or under
                                            bridges with a beaker at the ready for the passersby's alms? ;-)

                                            He had occasional flashes of silence that made his conversation
                                            perfectly delightful.
                                            -- Sydney Smith

                                          • John Beckett
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 5, 2010
                                              The April edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                                              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                                              The featured tip discusses some ideas for using tab pages
                                              effectively in Vim: using a tab page to display a diff, or
                                              other views of files you want to access.

                                              John

                                            • John Beckett
                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 3, 2010
                                                The May edition of the Vim Tips home page is now available:
                                                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Vim_Tips_Wiki

                                                The featured tip reminds us about the use of I and A in a
                                                visual block selection.

                                                I'm not sure how valuable the work of updating the main page is
                                                (compared with fixing tips), and after two years I'm getting a
                                                little lazy. The feature tip has not been featured before, but
                                                "Did you know?" and "From Vim help" are from two years ago.

                                                Most of the "Did you know?" tips are in urgent need of some TLC!

                                                John