Re: how to ignore stderr in filter

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi bill!

      On Sa, 22 Aug 2009, bill lam wrote:

      > Another problem for filter. I found that vim will get both stdout and
      > stderr from a filter. eg
      >
      > cat foo
      > #/bin/sh
      > ls --funny
      > echo abc
      >
      > execute :%!foo will copy all of the following to vim buffer
      >
      > ls: unrecognized option `--funny'
      > Try `ls --help' for more information.
      > abc
      >
      > It it possible to exclude output from stderr?

      set srr=">%s"

      :h 'srr'

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
      pistol.

    • bill lam
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
        On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > set srr=">%s"

        Thanks, but when I tried to :set srr=">%s" in command mode, then
        verified :set srr? it returned
        ishellredir=

        instead of ">%s"

        --
        regards,
        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
          On Tue, September 1, 2009 11:03 am, bill lam wrote:
          > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >> set srr=">%s"
          >
          > Thanks, but when I tried to :set srr=">%s" in command mode, then
          > verified :set srr? it returned
          > ishellredir=
          >
          > instead of ">%s"

          Sorry, you should enter:
          set srr=>%s

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          :wq!

        • bill lam
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
            On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > set srr=>%s

            Thank you for prompt reply. It works like a charm.