Re: Use terminal colors in GUI Vim?

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
      Hi Gary!

      On Mo, 31 Aug 2009, Gary Johnson wrote:

      > g:colors_name is set when :colorscheme is executed, if the
      > colorscheme file is properly written. If vim says that
      > g:colors_name is undefined, then :colorscheme has not been executed.

      Or the colorscheme did not set g:colors_name, which would be a bug.
      (g:colors_name has to be defined by the colorscheme).

      #v+
      ~$ grep g:colors_name ~/.vim/colors/*.vim
      .vim/colors/black_angus.vim:let g:colors_name = "black_angus"
      .vim/colors/cb256.vim:let g:colors_name="cb256"
      .vim/colors/desert256.vim:let g:colors_name="desert256"
      .vim/colors/dw_blue.vim:let g:colors_name="dw_blue"
      .vim/colors/maroloccio.vim:let g:colors_name="maroloccio"
      .vim/colors/peaksea.vim:let g:colors_name = expand("<sfile>:t:r")
      .vim/colors/sean.vim:let g:colors_name = "sean"
      .vim/colors/transparent.vim:let g:colors_name="transparent"
      .vim/colors/zenburn.vim:let g:colors_name="zenburn"
      #v-

      regards,
      Christian

    • Nathan Neff
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
        On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:
        > I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
        > xterm's default colors.
        >
        > Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
        > copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
        > .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
        > definitions by yours.

        Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.

        I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
        use your colorscheme :-)

        --Nate

      • Nathan Neff
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
          On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Nathan Neff<nathan.neff@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:
          >> I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
          >> xterm's default colors.
          >>
          >> Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
          >> copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
          >> .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
          >> definitions by yours.
          >
          > Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.
          >
          > I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
          > use your colorscheme :-)
          >
          > --Nate

          Sorry, I meant Patrick-Gen Paul.

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
            Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
            > I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
            > xterm's default colors.
            >
            > Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
            > copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
            > .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
            > definitions by yours.
            >
            > :%s/#iiiiii/#jjjjjj/g (e.g.)
            >
            > Would be nice if someone could suggest an automated solution, though.

            The hicolors plugin can help with this:

            http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#HICOLORS
            (cutting edge)
            http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081 (stable)

            I used simple.vimrc:
            set nocp
            syn on
            filetype plugin on

            and the following:

            vim -u simple.vimrc
            :he hicolors
            (place cursor atop a color) <cr>
            (place cursor atop "WriteColorscheme") <cr>
            (pick a name for the colorscheme)

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Matt Wozniski
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
              On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Nathan Neff wrote:

              > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
              >> I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
              >> xterm's default colors.
              >>
              >> Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
              >> copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
              >> .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
              >> definitions by yours.
              >
              > Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.
              >
              > I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
              > use your colorscheme :-)

              Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
              port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
              change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
              terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
              Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
              does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
              archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
              in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

              ~Matt

              hi clear
              if exists("syntax_on")
              syntax reset
              endif

              let g:colors_name = 'sixteen'

              " Change these to match your terminal!

              let s:Black = '#000000'
              let s:DarkBlue = '#AF0000'
              let s:DarkGreen = '#00AF00'
              let s:DarkCyan = '#AFAF00'
              let s:DarkRed = '#00FF00'
              let s:DarkMagenta = '#AF00AF'
              let s:Brown = '#00AFAF'
              let s:Grey = '#9A9A9A'
              let s:DarkGrey = '#5F5F5F'
              let s:Blue = '#D70000'
              let s:Green = '#00D700'
              let s:Cyan = '#D7D700'
              let s:Red = '#00FF00'
              let s:Magenta = '#D700D7'
              let s:Yellow = '#00D7D7'
              let s:White = '#D7D7D7'

              " Both

              exe 'hi ErrorMsg term=standout ctermbg=DarkRed guibg=' . s:DarkRed . '
              ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White
              exe 'hi IncSearch term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
              exe 'hi ModeMsg term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
              exe 'hi NonText term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
              exe 'hi StatusLine term=reverse,bold cterm=reverse,bold gui=reverse,bold'
              exe 'hi StatusLineNC term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
              exe 'hi VertSplit term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
              exe 'hi VisualNOS term=underline,bold cterm=underline,bold gui=underline,bold'
              exe 'hi DiffText term=reverse cterm=bold gui=bold ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
              exe 'hi PmenuThumb cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
              exe 'hi PmenuSbar ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
              exe 'hi TabLineSel term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
              exe 'hi TabLineFill term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
              exe 'hi Cursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'
              exe 'hi lCursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'

              if &bg == 'light'
              exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Brown guifg=' . s:Brown
              exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
              exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
              exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
              ctermfg=NONE guifg=NONE'
              exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
              exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
              exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
              exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=DarkMagenta guifg=' . s:DarkMagenta
              exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=DarkRed guifg=' . s:DarkRed
              exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
              ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
              exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
              ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
              ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
              ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
              exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
              exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
              ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
              ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black . ' ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
              exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
              exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
              exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
              else
              exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Yellow guifg=' . s:Yellow
              exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
              exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
              exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
              ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
              exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
              exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
              exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
              exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
              exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=Magenta guifg=' . s:Magenta
              exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=Red guifg=' . s:Red
              exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
              ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
              exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
              . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
              s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
              s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
              exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
              exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=DarkBlue guibg=' . s:DarkBlue
              exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=DarkMagenta guibg=' . s:DarkMagenta
              exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
              ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
              exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
              ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White . ' ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
              s:DarkGrey
              exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
              exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
              exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
              exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
              endif

            • Patrick Gen-Paul
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                Matt Wozniski wrote:

                > Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
                > port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
                > change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
                > terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
                > Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
                > does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
                > archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
                > in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

                [..]

                Thanks for the feedback.

                Do not deride such efforts - and yours in particular. Stuff like that is
                quite valuable in terms of introducing low-level vim users like myself
                to vim scripting / customization.

                An obvious limitation is that nobody is going to want to type in their
                rrggbb's - even 16 of them.. And some folks have 256 colors terminals.

                I plan to take a closer look at your port, tomorrow I hope.

                :-)

                Gen-Paul.