Use terminal colors in GUI Vim?

  • Nathan Neff
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 27, 2009
      Hello,

      I'm using a custom Xdefaults file for my terminal (urxvt), and I like
      how Vim looks
      in the terminal.

      Is there an easy way to make a colorscheme file for Gvim that makes Gvim look
      like my terminal colors?

      I've seen quite a few discussions on how to go from Gvim --> Terminal,
      but not the other
      way around.

      Thanks,
      --Nate

    • Patrick Gen-Paul
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
        Nathan Neff wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm using a custom Xdefaults file for my terminal (urxvt), and I like
        > how Vim looks
        > in the terminal.
        >
        > Is there an easy way to make a colorscheme file for Gvim that makes Gvim look
        > like my terminal colors?
        >
        > I've seen quite a few discussions on how to go from Gvim --> Terminal,
        > but not the other
        > way around.

        Difficult to help without a bit more detail about your context.

        What color scheme - if any - are you using in the terminal?

        I could be wrong, but this sounds like you could duplicate the color
        scheme file, replace all instances of ctermfg and ctermbg by
        respectively guifg and guibg, save the file.. and you're done (?)

        Gen-Paul.

      • Nathan Neff
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
          I define my color scheme in .Xdefaults, like this, for urxvt:

          urxvt.scrollTtyOutput: 0
          urxvt.scrollTtyKeypress: 1
          urxvt.background: #000000
          urxvt.foreground: #9a9a9a
          urxvt.color0: #000000
          urxvt.color1: #af0000
          urxvt.color2: #00af00
          urxvt.color3: #afaf00
          urxvt.color4: #00ff00
          urxvt.color5: #af00af
          urxvt.color6: #00afaf
          urxvt.color7: #9a9a9a
          urxvt.color8: #5f5f5f
          urxvt.color9: #d70000
          urxvt.color10: #00d700
          urxvt.color11: #d7d700
          urxvt.color12: #00FF00
          urxvt.color13: #d700d7
          urxvt.color14: #00d7d7
          urxvt.color15: #d7d7d7

          I don't know if that's what you're asking about. I don't know how
          terminal vim interacts with the colors of urxvt, though.

          On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:

          > Nathan Neff wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I'm using a custom Xdefaults file for my terminal (urxvt), and I like
          >> how Vim looks
          >> in the terminal.
          >>
          >> Is there an easy way to make a colorscheme file for Gvim that makes Gvim look
          >> like my terminal colors?
          >>
          >> I've seen quite a few discussions on how to go from Gvim --> Terminal,
          >> but not the other
          >> way around.
          >
          > Difficult to help without a bit more detail about your context.
          >
          > What color scheme - if any - are you using in the terminal?
          >
          > I could be wrong, but this sounds like you could duplicate the color
          > scheme file, replace all instances of ctermfg and ctermbg by
          > respectively guifg and guibg, save the file.. and you're done (?)
          >
          > Gen-Paul.

        • Patrick Gen-Paul
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
            Nathan Neff wrote:
            > I define my color scheme in .Xdefaults, like this, for urxvt:

            [..]

            > I don't know if that's what you're asking about. I don't know how
            > terminal vim interacts with the colors of urxvt, though.

            I meant a _vim_ color scheme.

            :h colorscheme

            In particular: "For info about writing a colorscheme file .." since, to
            the best of my knowledge, this is what you need to do.

            What does this tell you?

            :echo g:colors_name

            Gen-Paul.

          • Nathan Neff
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
              On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:

              > Nathan Neff wrote:
              >> I define my color scheme in .Xdefaults, like this, for urxvt:
              >
              > [..]
              >
              >> I don't know if that's what you're asking about.  I don't know how
              >> terminal vim interacts with the colors of urxvt, though.
              >
              > I meant a _vim_ color scheme.
              >
              > :h colorscheme
              >
              > In particular: "For info about writing a colorscheme file .." since, to
              > the best of my knowledge, this is what you need to do.
              >
              > What does this tell you?
              >
              > :echo g:colors_name

              I'm using "moria" in Gvim. I'd like to make Gvim have the same colors as
              vim does in my terminal. I don't know how to convert terminal colors
              into a Gvim color scheme.

              Thanks,
              --Nate

            • Nathan Neff
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Nathan Neff<nathan.neff@...> wrote:
                > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Nathan Neff wrote:
                >>> I define my color scheme in .Xdefaults, like this, for urxvt:
                >>
                >> [..]
                >>
                >>> I don't know if that's what you're asking about.  I don't know how
                >>> terminal vim interacts with the colors of urxvt, though.
                >>
                >> I meant a _vim_ color scheme.
                >>
                >> :h colorscheme
                >>
                >> In particular: "For info about writing a colorscheme file .." since, to
                >> the best of my knowledge, this is what you need to do.
                >>
                >> What does this tell you?
                >>
                >> :echo g:colors_name
                >
                > I'm using "moria" in Gvim.  I'd like to make Gvim have the same colors as
                > vim does in my terminal.  I don't know how to convert terminal colors
                > into a Gvim color scheme.

                In addition, when I type :echo g:colors_name in terminal vim, I get
                "Undefined variable: g:colors_name", which makes sense because
                g:colors_name only applies to Gvim.

                --Nate

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                  On 2009-08-31, Nathan Neff wrote:

                  > In addition, when I type :echo g:colors_name in terminal vim, I get
                  > "Undefined variable: g:colors_name", which makes sense because
                  > g:colors_name only applies to Gvim.

                  Why do you think g:colors_name applies only to gvim?

                  g:colors_name is set when :colorscheme is executed, if the
                  colorscheme file is properly written. If vim says that
                  g:colors_name is undefined, then :colorscheme has not been executed.

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • Patrick Gen-Paul
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                    Nathan Neff wrote:

                    [..]

                    >>> What does this tell you?
                    >>>
                    >>> :echo g:colors_name
                    >> I'm using "moria" in Gvim. I'd like to make Gvim have the same colors as
                    >> vim does in my terminal. I don't know how to convert terminal colors
                    >> into a Gvim color scheme.

                    > In addition, when I type :echo g:colors_name in terminal vim, I get
                    > "Undefined variable: g:colors_name", which makes sense because
                    > g:colors_name only applies to Gvim.

                    No.

                    Type the following in terminal vim:

                    :colorscheme <space> <Tab>

                    You will be prompted for different color schemes in succession.

                    Select one by hitting <Enter>

                    Then:

                    :echo g:colors_name

                    The name of the color scheme that you selected is displayed.

                    My _guess_ is that you are using the "default" color scheme, which I
                    believe is hard-coded in vim and the trouble is that in this particular
                    case the colors_name global variable is not se.

                    I have not looked at the code, so someone correct me if that is not the
                    case.

                    So, I'm not sure where you can go from there. Maybe check if there is a
                    plugin that lets you dump the "default" color scheme to a colorscheme
                    file..?

                    Not sure that's even possible.

                    Obviously, once you have a copy of the "default" color scheme in a file,
                    porting it to gvim is trivial.

                    Otherwise, you could start terminal vim, use the :hi command to display
                    the current syntax highlighting settings, copy/paste them to a file, and
                    use these definitions to build a gvim color scheme.

                    Gen_Paul.

                  • Patrick Gen-Paul
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                      I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
                      xterm's default colors.

                      Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
                      copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
                      .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
                      definitions by yours.

                      :%s/#iiiiii/#jjjjjj/g (e.g.)

                      Would be nice if someone could suggest an automated solution, though.

                      :-/

                      Gen-Paul.

                    • pansz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                        Nathan Neff 写道:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I'm using a custom Xdefaults file for my terminal (urxvt), and I like
                        > how Vim looks
                        > in the terminal.
                        >
                        > Is there an easy way to make a colorscheme file for Gvim that makes Gvim look
                        > like my terminal colors?

                        Guess you had manually defined Color0 to Color15 in Xdefaults?

                        I don't think there is an easy way to convert that into gvim scheme
                        unless someone had write script for it.

                        You may need to design a gui colorscheme file. Design your own gui
                        colorscheme file isn't very hard, you can start with your moria.vim and
                        change the colors.

                        It takes some time to know how to write your own colorscheme file, but
                        we'll be using vim in the rest of our life and I think it worth the cost.

                      • Christian Brabandt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 31, 2009
                          Hi Gary!

                          On Mo, 31 Aug 2009, Gary Johnson wrote:

                          > g:colors_name is set when :colorscheme is executed, if the
                          > colorscheme file is properly written. If vim says that
                          > g:colors_name is undefined, then :colorscheme has not been executed.

                          Or the colorscheme did not set g:colors_name, which would be a bug.
                          (g:colors_name has to be defined by the colorscheme).

                          #v+
                          ~$ grep g:colors_name ~/.vim/colors/*.vim
                          .vim/colors/black_angus.vim:let g:colors_name = "black_angus"
                          .vim/colors/cb256.vim:let g:colors_name="cb256"
                          .vim/colors/desert256.vim:let g:colors_name="desert256"
                          .vim/colors/dw_blue.vim:let g:colors_name="dw_blue"
                          .vim/colors/maroloccio.vim:let g:colors_name="maroloccio"
                          .vim/colors/peaksea.vim:let g:colors_name = expand("<sfile>:t:r")
                          .vim/colors/sean.vim:let g:colors_name = "sean"
                          .vim/colors/transparent.vim:let g:colors_name="transparent"
                          .vim/colors/zenburn.vim:let g:colors_name="zenburn"
                          #v-

                          regards,
                          Christian

                        • Nathan Neff
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                            On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:
                            > I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
                            > xterm's default colors.
                            >
                            > Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
                            > copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
                            > .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
                            > definitions by yours.

                            Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.

                            I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
                            use your colorscheme :-)

                            --Nate

                          • Nathan Neff
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                              On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Nathan Neff<nathan.neff@...> wrote:
                              > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul<pgenpaul@...> wrote:
                              >> I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
                              >> xterm's default colors.
                              >>
                              >> Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
                              >> copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
                              >> .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
                              >> definitions by yours.
                              >
                              > Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.
                              >
                              > I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
                              > use your colorscheme :-)
                              >
                              > --Nate

                              Sorry, I meant Patrick-Gen Paul.

                            • Charles Campbell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                                Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
                                > I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
                                > xterm's default colors.
                                >
                                > Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
                                > copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
                                > .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
                                > definitions by yours.
                                >
                                > :%s/#iiiiii/#jjjjjj/g (e.g.)
                                >
                                > Would be nice if someone could suggest an automated solution, though.

                                The hicolors plugin can help with this:

                                http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#HICOLORS
                                (cutting edge)
                                http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081 (stable)

                                I used simple.vimrc:
                                set nocp
                                syn on
                                filetype plugin on

                                and the following:

                                vim -u simple.vimrc
                                :he hicolors
                                (place cursor atop a color) <cr>
                                (place cursor atop "WriteColorscheme") <cr>
                                (pick a name for the colorscheme)

                                Regards,
                                Chip Campbell

                              • Matt Wozniski
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                                  On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Nathan Neff wrote:

                                  > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Gen-Paul wrote:
                                  >> I used ":hi + copy/paste" to create a color scheme that reflects my
                                  >> xterm's default colors.
                                  >>
                                  >> Pleas find attached the color scheme file I created manually via
                                  >> copy/paste and a few substitutions + the relevant stanza of my
                                  >> .Xdefaults file so all you need to do is replace my terminal color
                                  >> definitions by yours.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks Glen -- I tried your colorscheme, and it looks a lot like mine.
                                  >
                                  > I'll go through the colors 1 by 1 when I have time -- in the meantime, I'll
                                  > use your colorscheme :-)

                                  Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
                                  port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
                                  change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
                                  terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
                                  Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
                                  does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
                                  archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
                                  in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

                                  ~Matt

                                  hi clear
                                  if exists("syntax_on")
                                  syntax reset
                                  endif

                                  let g:colors_name = 'sixteen'

                                  " Change these to match your terminal!

                                  let s:Black = '#000000'
                                  let s:DarkBlue = '#AF0000'
                                  let s:DarkGreen = '#00AF00'
                                  let s:DarkCyan = '#AFAF00'
                                  let s:DarkRed = '#00FF00'
                                  let s:DarkMagenta = '#AF00AF'
                                  let s:Brown = '#00AFAF'
                                  let s:Grey = '#9A9A9A'
                                  let s:DarkGrey = '#5F5F5F'
                                  let s:Blue = '#D70000'
                                  let s:Green = '#00D700'
                                  let s:Cyan = '#D7D700'
                                  let s:Red = '#00FF00'
                                  let s:Magenta = '#D700D7'
                                  let s:Yellow = '#00D7D7'
                                  let s:White = '#D7D7D7'

                                  " Both

                                  exe 'hi ErrorMsg term=standout ctermbg=DarkRed guibg=' . s:DarkRed . '
                                  ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White
                                  exe 'hi IncSearch term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi ModeMsg term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
                                  exe 'hi NonText term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
                                  exe 'hi StatusLine term=reverse,bold cterm=reverse,bold gui=reverse,bold'
                                  exe 'hi StatusLineNC term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi VertSplit term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi VisualNOS term=underline,bold cterm=underline,bold gui=underline,bold'
                                  exe 'hi DiffText term=reverse cterm=bold gui=bold ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
                                  exe 'hi PmenuThumb cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi PmenuSbar ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
                                  exe 'hi TabLineSel term=bold cterm=bold gui=bold'
                                  exe 'hi TabLineFill term=reverse cterm=reverse gui=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi Cursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'
                                  exe 'hi lCursor guibg=fg guifg=bg'

                                  if &bg == 'light'
                                  exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Brown guifg=' . s:Brown
                                  exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
                                  exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=DarkGreen guifg=' . s:DarkGreen
                                  exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
                                  ctermfg=NONE guifg=NONE'
                                  exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
                                  exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
                                  exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
                                  exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=DarkMagenta guifg=' . s:DarkMagenta
                                  exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=DarkRed guifg=' . s:DarkRed
                                  exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
                                  ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
                                  exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
                                  ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
                                  ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey . '
                                  ctermfg=DarkBlue guifg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
                                  exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
                                  ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
                                  ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black . ' ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
                                  exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=Grey guibg=' . s:Grey
                                  exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
                                  exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
                                  else
                                  exe 'hi Directory term=bold ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi LineNr term=underline ctermfg=Yellow guifg=' . s:Yellow
                                  exe 'hi MoreMsg term=bold ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
                                  exe 'hi Question term=standout ctermfg=Green guifg=' . s:Green
                                  exe 'hi Search term=reverse ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow . '
                                  ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
                                  exe 'hi SpecialKey term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue
                                  exe 'hi SpellBad term=reverse ctermbg=Red guibg=' . s:Red
                                  exe 'hi SpellCap term=reverse ctermbg=Blue guibg=' . s:Blue
                                  exe 'hi SpellRare term=reverse ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi SpellLocal term=underline ctermbg=Cyan guibg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi Pmenu ctermbg=Magenta guibg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi PmenuSel ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
                                  exe 'hi Title term=bold ctermfg=Magenta guifg=' . s:Magenta
                                  exe 'hi WarningMsg term=standout ctermfg=Red guifg=' . s:Red
                                  exe 'hi WildMenu term=standout ctermbg=Yellow guibg=' . s:Yellow .
                                  ' ctermfg=Black guifg=' . s:Black
                                  exe 'hi Folded term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
                                  . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi FoldColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
                                  s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi SignColumn term=standout ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
                                  s:DarkGrey . ' ctermfg=Cyan guifg=' . s:Cyan
                                  exe 'hi Visual term=reverse'
                                  exe 'hi DiffAdd term=bold ctermbg=DarkBlue guibg=' . s:DarkBlue
                                  exe 'hi DiffChange term=bold ctermbg=DarkMagenta guibg=' . s:DarkMagenta
                                  exe 'hi DiffDelete term=bold ctermfg=Blue guifg=' . s:Blue . '
                                  ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
                                  exe 'hi TabLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline
                                  ctermfg=White guifg=' . s:White . ' ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' .
                                  s:DarkGrey
                                  exe 'hi CursorColumn term=reverse ctermbg=DarkGrey guibg=' . s:DarkGrey
                                  exe 'hi CursorLine term=underline cterm=underline gui=underline'
                                  exe 'hi MatchParen term=reverse ctermbg=DarkCyan guibg=' . s:DarkCyan
                                  exe 'hi Normal gui=NONE'
                                  endif

                                • Patrick Gen-Paul
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 1, 2009
                                    Matt Wozniski wrote:

                                    > Well, you can probably tell that I was bored today... but here's a
                                    > port of the 16-color-terminal default colorscheme to gvim. Just
                                    > change the block of colors (the "let" lines..) to match your
                                    > terminal's colors (they're colors 0 through 15, in order, fwiw).
                                    > Hopefully gmail doesn't wrap this on me... In fact, just in case it
                                    > does, I've attached it as well - so there will be a plain text,
                                    > archivable copy in the list archives and a not-horribly-wrapped copy
                                    > in subscriber's inboxes. Sorry I can't disable wrapping ATM. :)

                                    [..]

                                    Thanks for the feedback.

                                    Do not deride such efforts - and yours in particular. Stuff like that is
                                    quite valuable in terms of introducing low-level vim users like myself
                                    to vim scripting / customization.

                                    An obvious limitation is that nobody is going to want to type in their
                                    rrggbb's - even 16 of them.. And some folks have 256 colors terminals.

                                    I plan to take a closer look at your port, tomorrow I hope.

                                    :-)

                                    Gen-Paul.