how to ignore stderr in filter

  • bill lam
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2009
      Another problem for filter. I found that vim will get both stdout and
      stderr from a filter. eg

      cat foo
      #/bin/sh
      ls --funny
      echo abc

      execute :%!foo will copy all of the following to vim buffer

      ls: unrecognized option `--funny'
      Try `ls --help' for more information.
      abc

      It it possible to exclude output from stderr?

      --
      regards,
      GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

    • Lucas P Melo
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2009
        bill lam wrote:
        > Another problem for filter. I found that vim will get both stdout and
        > stderr from a filter. eg
        >
        > cat foo
        > #/bin/sh
        > ls --funny
        > echo abc
        >
        > execute :%!foo will copy all of the following to vim buffer
        >
        > ls: unrecognized option `--funny'
        > Try `ls --help' for more information.
        > abc
        >
        > It it possible to exclude output from stderr?

        Yes.
        :%!foo 2> /dev/null

      • bill lam
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2009
          On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Lucas P Melo wrote:
          > > It it possible to exclude output from stderr?
          > >
          > Yes.
          > :%!foo 2> /dev/null

          Thanks. I should have thought of that.

          --
          regards,
          GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
            Hi bill!

            On Sa, 22 Aug 2009, bill lam wrote:

            > Another problem for filter. I found that vim will get both stdout and
            > stderr from a filter. eg
            >
            > cat foo
            > #/bin/sh
            > ls --funny
            > echo abc
            >
            > execute :%!foo will copy all of the following to vim buffer
            >
            > ls: unrecognized option `--funny'
            > Try `ls --help' for more information.
            > abc
            >
            > It it possible to exclude output from stderr?

            set srr=">%s"

            :h 'srr'

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
            pistol.

          • bill lam
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
              On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > set srr=">%s"

              Thanks, but when I tried to :set srr=">%s" in command mode, then
              verified :set srr? it returned
              ishellredir=

              instead of ">%s"

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
                On Tue, September 1, 2009 11:03 am, bill lam wrote:
                > On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                >> set srr=">%s"
                >
                > Thanks, but when I tried to :set srr=">%s" in command mode, then
                > verified :set srr? it returned
                > ishellredir=
                >
                > instead of ">%s"

                Sorry, you should enter:
                set srr=>%s

                regards,
                Christian
                --
                :wq!

              • bill lam
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
                  On Tue, 01 Sep 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > set srr=>%s

                  Thank you for prompt reply. It works like a charm.